General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Other machines as easy as the Mini for OSX - 06-22-2009, 05:49 AM

I like many people in this forum bought the Mini9 specifically to run OSX and I love it! I'm still amazed at how easy it was (thanks to all concerned for the dev work) and the pleasing aspect of using a real retail OSX disc (makes it feel above board).

My question is; has anyone heard of a machine (I'm thinking of getting a Nettop as a second computer) that is just as easy and just as successful for OSX as the Mini9? All the other forums and links I've found seem to suggest that no other machine can use the retail disc, nor does everthing work as well as the Mini9 does!
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 06-22-2009, 11:41 AM

I am sure there a tons out there... but what make the Mini9 (and 10v) so good is the community that focused attention to a dedicated installer. Without it the Mini9 would be just like any other Netbook out there.

Sure, the mini got all the right components to be a nice Mac... but it is not the only one.

Meklort is currently writing a new installer that will allow Mini 10v and Levono S10 easy installation. DellEFI will be re branded NetbookInstaller in the process.

Dell Mini 9
OS X 10.5.6
  (#3) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Im also looking for another machine. Im actually looking for a desktop replacement laptop that would run OSX. Any ideas where I can look into it. Has anyone tried OSX on a dell studio or xps?
  (#4) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM

the osx86/InsanelyMac website has hardware compatibility charts that come in useful, even if they are a bit dated:

I'm also looking into getting a desktop and hackintoshing it. Thought about the Dell 220s, although the sleep function appears not to function.

Here's the link directly to machines that are running 10.5.7:
  (#5) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 07:16 PM

The only one I have had any success with besides the Mini 9 is the Wind. I had tried many netbooks with limited success until the Wind came along. There are things that still don't work as well as the Mini and nowhere near as easy to install, but they are pretty good.
  (#6) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 11:25 PM

Thanks bmaltais .... I've been viewing this forum for many, many months and the work that has gone into the initial DellMiniBoot123, then DellEFI and the upcoming NetBookInstaller is impressive. A great community effort!

I remember the first of my installs of OSX I happily put up with no sound, no SD card, no sleep etc etc ..... now thanks to all you guys EVERYTHING works and I have a great little Mac! I travel everywhere with poor MacBook doesn't get any attention these days, can't even rememeber what version of OSX it's running to tell the truth!

Keep up the good work guys! It's very much appreciated by more people than you probably realise.
  (#7) Old
Default 06-23-2009, 01:10 AM

If you want to BUILD a computer (and you sound like you don't) the EFiX chip is a great way to use OSX. Unlike DellEFI and many other pieces of Hackintosh software the efix chip contains true EFI hardware, instead of emulating EFI so OSX runs. The company behind it has quite a few talented coders who have programmed all their own patches to OSX in order for it to run. The nice thing is the while the efix chip works with a limited amount of hardware, the kext/driver management is all done automatically. OSX installs and works without any help from you. I use it for my desktop and I love it; it's extremely stable and powerful. I know I sound like an ad but if you want to try building a OSX machine I would highly recommend it.
  (#8) Old
Default 12-01-2009, 01:20 AM

Anyone have comments on EFiX...Looking to Put a High End Desktop together Triple Boot or something...Thanks...Cheers...

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 RC4 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB SSD | BIOS A04 | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT: ON | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake from Sleep: OFF | Audio Working | Sleep Working | On Order 128 GB SSD-Touch Screen-Ext Life Battery-32 GB SD-MAC Skins |
  (#9) Old
Default 12-01-2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by fbooth111 View Post
Anyone have comments on EFiX...Looking to Put a High End Desktop together Triple Boot or something...Thanks...Cheers...

on the subject of EFI-X google reveals:
Exclusive Report: EFI-X Mac Booter, A Scam? - Tom's Hardware

White Mini 9 | OSX 10.5.8 | A04 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB | 64GB RunCore Pro IV | 32GB C6 Transcend | 1.3Mpix | MDD extended battery | OEM BT | Fusion 2.0.4 | 1505 Draft-N

Problems with external displays or projectors in OS X? Try MirrorDisplays2!
Got Static?
  (#10) Old
Default 12-01-2009, 08:49 AM

I'm an Efi-X user and I'm a bit disappointed about the way they treat their customers. I bought a Version 1.0 unit last year which is working pretty good but with the release of Snow Leopard they announced that it wouldn't be supported by the V1.0, instead I would have to upgrade to their new unit V1.1
I got banned from their official forum for complaining about this fact.

There is an entire forum of (former) Efi-X users that also feel betrayed. Take a look around, most of them have found a better and even open source alternative for the Efi-X.

After all the Efi-X is nothing more than a USB Stick with a bootloader. There have also been suspicions of stealing code from the open source community.

In 2009, there was further speculation that EFi-X is in fact just a USB flash drive booting a modified version of Chameleon.

Dell Mini 10v | A05 BIOS | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 Final | Speedstepping via VoodooPowerMini.kext

« Problem with Method 4 - Direct Install from Mac to SSD/HDD | iPod not recognized »