General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Bootloader Error - 06-19-2009, 09:46 PM

I just completed a fresh install of OSX on an 8GB SSD. I customized the installation according to Mechdrew's guide: Guide Advanced 3: Customizing the Mac OS X Installer | DellEFI | mechdrew

The actual installation was done with a single USB stick, using Guide 1.

I only removed the items which Mechdrew recommended.

The installation worked perfectly, but one problem remains. The SSD does not boot by itself. If I try to boot up from the SSD I get the following message:
boot0: testing
boot0: error
Then it just hangs at that message.

If I use the USB bootloader and tell it to boot the SSD, it does so without any problems and OSX works fine. I have tried running DellEFI 1.2a5 and telling it to reinstall the bootloader. Unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem and I get the same error upon boot.

One other thing, as noted in Mechdrew's customization guide, you can format the SSD with a Master Boot Record partition table (in order to conserve space) after customizing the installer. I am wondering if this is the problem? However, the guide says it should be fine.

Anyways, how do I get the SSD to self-boot???

[Edit]: I am running OSX 10.5.6 if this matters.
  (#2) Old
Default 06-19-2009, 10:02 PM

Actually I was able to correct this problem by downloading and installing the Chameleon 2.0 r431 bootloader from Chameleon's website. Everything seems to be working now, but out of curiosity is there any issues with this release or is it stable?

« Problems installin OSX on mini 10v | SD card reader. Apple vs Hackintosh »