General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default SD card reader. Apple vs Hackintosh - 06-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Hey, with the release of a SD card reader on the latest 13 & 15 inch macbook pro, are there plans to incorporate the official apple driver into the dellefi? Is the performance increased with the official driver? (I remember reading a thread here that said that card performance was worse using the homemade drivers than with windows drivers on that OS.)

I also read in another thread about some cards not working, I am wondering if compatibility will improve as well with the new drivers.
  (#2) Old
Default 06-19-2009, 10:31 PM

There's a bit of a difference from a hardware perspective. Apple's SD card reader is basically an internal USB card reader. It connects to the USB bus, much like their web cam, IR receiver, etc. As far as an official Apple computer is concerned, any card inserted in there is simply a USB mass storage device.

I'm not sure that the Mini 9/10v operate the same way. The SD card reader is actually an SD card reader and requires specific drivers.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 06-19-2009, 10:40 PM

The mini 10v's is actually connected via usb, so there wont be a problem with speed and it.

The Mini 9's is connected via pcie (manufactured by jmicron), and so it requires a driver. The driver we have for it is slow and has a few bugs, but it does work.

So, the only way the apple drivers would help us out is if they use the pcie bus as well as a similar sd controller.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a invite? message me.

« Bootloader Error | Help With External Projector Please »