General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Is time machine worth it on Mini 9 - 06-19-2009, 01:26 PM

So I have been having time machine run back ups of my mini 9. My question is, can this be used to restore an entire hard drive, including the custom boot and EFI tools?

If not, I don't think it is worth using. I have already reinstalled OS X 3 times so its not like I have any super important files on the mini anyway.

(#2) Old
Default 06-19-2009, 02:25 PM

I don't consider my mini 9 to be my primary machine, so I don't back it up regularly - all my data is on other machines which are backed up regularly. I *do* have a system backup which I take periodically (usually before upgrades) so I'm not back to scratch if something goes horribly wrong with my mini 9, but it's not a regular thing (but it *is* there).

What I do is make sure that anything I do on my mini 9 is sync'd with my "master" machine whenever they share a network (either local or VPN) so the worst case is that I might lose a day or two's stuff from my mini 9 (the sort of thing I'm talking about there is my iCal, e-mail, AddressBook, etc). That's a risk I'm prepared to take (and may well be unavoidable if I'm away from home and have no internet access). Most of the time my exposure will be around 8 hours though.
  (#3) Old
Default 06-19-2009, 02:52 PM

I just bought a 2nd mini 9 and instead of doing a fresh install I restored from a time machine backup from my original mini 9. It worked perfectly and in the time of a normal install I had 10.5.7 and all my 3rd party programs installed and customized.

The only thing I had to do post restore was run DellEFI for the sole reason of installing the bootloader. Otherwise, almost every detail and setting carried over.

mini 9a 2gb, 32gb, 1.3, 10.5.7, black
mini 9b 2gb, 16gb, 0.3, 10.5.7, white
  (#4) Old
Default 06-19-2009, 04:25 PM

Yep - I've done something similar a couple of times when I've done a fresh install (for example when I wanted to partition my SSD). The only difference was that I used DiskUtility since I don't run Time Machine.
  (#5) Old
Default 06-20-2009, 05:35 AM

Getting a Time Machine backup prior to any updates or software installs is a great idea. I've restored the full drive from my TM backups several times due to incompatibilities between updates and my software. E.g. on my MBP, I run PGP whole disk encryption with an SSD. The 10.5.7 update rendered the machine unbootable. A simple restore and I'm right back to where I was before the update. I like the feature and have found it to be very convenient.

On my Mini9, I've done backups before updates and software installs such as the new touchpad drivers. If it messes up, recovering is a painless process.

Mini9 BT, 2GB RAM, 32 GB SSD, 1.3 mp, Mac10.5.7

« os x doesnt recognize windows partition | What's the top list of issues with OS X on 10v? »