General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default mac toolbar hiding window prompts - 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM

There are some windows that the mac toolbar (safari, trashcan, etc) sits over the prompts and make it impossible to see and hit the prompts for those windows. How do people handle this?

Can you resize these windows (I had no luck with that for some of those windows) or send the toolbar away (no luck with that either). Is it possible to send the toolbar away -- at least for a period and how do you do that? Or is there a better way to handle this situation.

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Default 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM

I have the dock set to autohide. You can adjust the size of it as well as autohide in the system prefs..

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old
Default 06-16-2009, 09:40 PM

I have it set to auto hide which helped a lot. When I made the shift to widescreen monitors I trained my self to have the taskbar/dock on the left side of the screen instead of the bottom. I've found that the taskbar/dock autohide on the left side of the screen is perfect for freeing up precious veritcal space on my mini.
To change Dock settings - find the little row of dotted lines in the dock - if it is on the bottom it should be toward the right side of the screen in between the last few icons on on the dock. You can drag that to adjust the size - and right click to get to Prefs. In Prefs you can adjust some animations and where it appears.
  (#4) Old
Default 06-16-2009, 10:19 PM

Yes, take advantage of the widescreen space. Vertical space is too valuable to dedicate to the Dock. I make it small, use magnification and place it on the left side.

Dell Mini 10v, 2GB, 120GB, 6-Cell, BT, 802.11n | Mac OS X 10.6.1 - 10v Hackintosh Guide - Get Dropbox for Mac OS X 2GB Free
  (#5) Old
Default 06-17-2009, 07:54 AM

there is a way to mess with the plist files for applications to make the toolbar autohide (i'm talking about the toolbar at the top, not the dock, which has an easy way to autohide), but you can use this instead:

PresentYourApps: Eternal Storms Software - PresentYourApps.

here's an old post with more stuff:

To further free up space, click on the minus-looking button at the top-right corner of some/most applications (e.g., see Finder).

Hope this helps some.

SSD(refurb) 64GB

Black Mini 9 w/ 2 Apple logo stickers over the Dell logo, 64GB Dell SSD, bluetooth, webcam; OS X 10.5.8 w/ NetbookInstaller 0.8.3; no more Ubuntu
  (#6) Old
Default 06-17-2009, 01:11 PM

I put the dock on the left side also. Its a big help!!

Mini 10v - Obsidian Black - 2 GB RAM - 120 GB HD - OS X 10.5.7

Check out my OS X Install Walkthrough at:

« Essential Free Mac Downloads | OSX 10.5.7 missing user login »