General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default What is a minimac good for :) - 06-13-2009, 09:21 PM

Any particular apps or software that users can recommend for a minimac? Given it takes a little bit of trouble to convert a dell mini to a minimac, what made you do it and why?
  (#2) Old
Default 06-13-2009, 09:38 PM

I find the netbook to be way, way, way more responsive running OS X than it was running XP even after I dumped the majority of the Dell baggage. I picked up the Mac Box Set so I also get all of these super-elegant apps (both productivity and multimedia stuff) for a grand total of $130. From a developer's perspective OS X is just a better operating system.
  (#3) Old
Default 06-13-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm a adjunct professor at the Univ. of MD-Univ. College and I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks and I need to keep in touch with my students. I have a $3000 MacBook Pro and didn't want to haul it to the caribbean beaches. It's also harder to store in a hotel safe.

I thought it would be my portable mail and web browsing machine, if I get tired of finger surfing on my iPhone 3G. I actually made it through last summer's vacations using only my iPhone, but I found myself in the Boylston Apple Store to get more substantial work done.

I've also purchased a 6-cell battery so I can take the MacBook Mini with me to meetings, instead of my notebook. I use Evernote and it's been great. I sometimes forget my notebook at work and have to recall from memory over the weekend. This is great.

I'm actually typing this on my Mini 10v at Panera while having lunch.

Dell Mini 10v, 2GB, 120GB, 6-Cell, BT, 802.11n | Mac OS X 10.6.1 - 10v Hackintosh Guide - Get Dropbox for Mac OS X 2GB Free
  (#4) Old
Default 06-13-2009, 11:28 PM

It's great for travel. I've been taking it along with me everywhere since it's low cost and as responsive as a regular macbook for regular internet and productivity tasks. OSX doesn't bog down over time like XP and it wakes up instantly from sleep, unlike XP. It's just a better OS all around, and I've been a PC guy most of my life.

Oh, and cute girls area always asking about it in coffee shops. Thats pretty cool too.
  (#5) Old
Default 06-14-2009, 02:08 AM

I'll second MacG's statement - I have a 15" Macbook Pro at work and a 20" Intel iMac at home. I hope to use my Mini 9 on my next trip - I survived on my iPhone for 8 days in Europe last fall, but it was hard. And so far, I've found it a nice addition to my daily routine - checking email at night, taking it to the coffee shop, or plugging it in at work to transfer files. It's not perfect, but it's convenient.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 06-14-2009, 03:15 AM

I originally bought the Mini 9 as an experiment to see if a netbook was all the tech blogs crack them up to be, with the knowledge in the back of my mind that it would be able to run Mac OS X as well. After two months of stalling I finally took the plunge, and have never turned back since.

I use my Dell Mini for everyday use at the university. I used to carry my MacBook, but it is bulkier and I don't use anything different on it. I feel safer leaving it in my backpack than I did my MacBook. And just like vdub6127 I always get people asking me about it. I think I've impressed a few of the IT professors.

I use Cyberduck and Smultron for creating my websites, Firefox and Thunderbird for web and e-mail, and I have OpenOffice for my word processing needs. Hulu's app for Mac helps Hulu run better, as does Safari 4 for Netflix. VLC runs even high definition videos at full speed, and plays almost anything you throw at it. Remote Desktop Connection from Microsoft gives me access to my media PC running Windows 7 (which lacks a monitor, thus the need for the remote connection) and LogMeIn allows me to access almost any computer I have to grab files, run advanced programs and do tech support from a distance.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#7) Old
Default 06-14-2009, 04:00 AM

Ditto! I bought the mini 9 for my 13 year old daughter to take to a month long summer program. I had fun installing os x --- thanks Drew! --- and I thought I would give it a whirl before she left. Then my mac air developed a problem --- according to our it guys the function keys stopped working for os related reasons --- and I found myself using it full time. Now I don't want to give it to her. I have used it for every aspect of my work except for high cpu load applications like mathematica (for symbolic math and number crunching) and I am extremely happy with it. Actually, there is one other task I have not tried: writing a lengthy word document. But I am happy to second and third the praise for this little machine.

And I can imagine becoming a little bit more courageous and do real computing by connecting to an office bound machine that can do the heavy lifting.
  (#8) Old
Default 06-14-2009, 04:02 AM

I'm an aspiring screenwriter, and as everyone knows -- you're only an aspiring writer at Starbucks. Kidding, I'm not one of those. But I do believe that to write the best stories (or at least one that'll help me break into the industry) you've got to immerse yourself in the reality of what you're writing about -- and that sometimes means lots of travel, lots of people watching, lots of sleepless nights writing from your couch (or someone else's).

The mini9 lets me move freely -- not just out there in the world, but also in my own home. I'm not stuck at my desk (like I am now writing this) every time I get a brain wave/fart. And for years I had to carry tons of notepads and pens (I have about 14 notepads of all sizes on my desk drawer) just to be ready to jot down notes, ideas, stray thoughts. The mini9 lets me just open the screen, shake it awake and start writing.

I use Scrivener to write on and Safari to browse the net for research / pictures, iTunes that draws its playlist from my other Mac on the network (when I'm at home) or 4GB USB flash drive when I'm not. And that's really all I need. I love it.

Dell Mini 9 | 8GB SSD, 1GB RAM | OS X 10.5.6
  (#9) Old
Default 06-14-2009, 04:51 AM

I was doing a lot of creative writing at various coffee shops but hated carrying around my MacBook Pro. This lead me to the search for a good but cheap $200 netbook that I don't have to worry about getting scratched, stolen etc. I chose Mini 9 because it looked very compact, beautiful and only $199 for a minimum Ubuntu configuration. Then I found out that it was fully hackintoshable so I did after spending more for a bigger SSD and 2GB RAM. First I was very happy that I was able to have the same environment as my main machine. But unfortunately I kept getting frustrated with the tiny keyboard. It was good enough to write emails but not for creative writing, at least for me. So I sold it and got myself a 10v and hackintoshed it. Now I'm finally happy.

Except for the bulky/heavy 6-cell battery and that the cost of 3-cell is half the price of the machine...

Mini 10v | 2GB Transcend RAM | Runcore 64GB Pro IV | BIOS A06 | OS X 10.6.8
  (#10) Old
Default 06-14-2009, 02:04 PM

I started my switch to Apple with a black Macbook 13", late 2007. But the display was far too small for me, so I got a 20" external display. A year later, that was too small either and also not very comfortable with all the cables to plug in and out everytime I wanted to carry the MB somewhere else. So I got myself a 24" iMac and sold my Macbook.

But completely without a laptop, only with an iPhone for mobile web use (which is great, anyway), is also not satisfying to me. So, what could be better than a really small but also very useful netbook with OS X on it? It's more portable than my Macbook was and I can get things done faster and easier than with my iPhone.

And frankly, after 2 years having a Mac without ANY kind of technical problem the whole time, I needed to try out sth. new. I guess the challenge I needed was hackintoshing the Dell mini and I was quite succesful

« Please help me decide between a Dell Mini and a Macbook for my daughter. | MobileMe/Security »