General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default My MacBook mini. Plus $1 Keyboard Decals! - 06-13-2009, 03:25 AM

EDIT: I AM SOLD OUT FOR NOW AND I WILL BE OUT OF TOWN FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS SO PLEASE DO NOT SEND PAYMENT FOR DECALS.

Hi there! Well my OSX mini build is finally drawing to a close. 64gb OSX runcore, glowing apple logo, MacBook mini sticker, etc, etc. But something was missing. The keyboard had that damn Windows logo on it! I took the suggestions from a few people on this site (I'm sure others have done this as well) and bought some printable water-transfer decal paper.

I found a couple logos and arranged them in a way that would fit both the US and US/INTL keyboards for the Mini 9. After several test prints, I color matched the white/cream/grey symbol as best I could, and printed the decals on a high quality laser printer. Since I don't really have a need for half a sheet of blank decal paper, I figured I'd print a full sheet worth of logos so I could test different types of coatings, etc. It only took a few logos to figure out what worked best, so I have a ton of extras.

The shot below shows the rest of them just after the second clearcoat (Krylon Ultraclear Satin) to further protect the decals (even though the toner is already fairly waterproof).

Here's a shot of some of these little guys getting cut apart. I didn't sand my old keys or anything, so there is a bit of an indentation where it follows the contour of the windows logo beneath it, but you can only see that when you are looking really, really close. There is no bleed through on the black part of the logo.

If anybody is interested in getting a couple of these for their Mini please shoot me an email at jimnicoloff@yahoo.com. I was thinking $1 shipped per pair - mostly just to cover the stamp and the envelope. If you are not CONUS please email me where you are so I can figure out how much shipping would be to you.

EDIT: I AM OUT OF TOWN FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS PLEASE DO NOT SEND PAYMENT.

The decals might be just a tiny bit glossier than the keyboard (hardly glossy at all that is), but I expect that to fade a bit with some use. I popped the keys off and put one extra layer of clearcoat on after the decals were on there, but that really shouldn't be necessary since they are already protected - you should be able to just get them wet, slide them on the keys, let them dry, and call it good. If you do decide to trim them some more (for some weird reason) make sure you use a very sharp set of scissors, and if anything chips off you can trace the edge with a sharpie (before you put it on the key). They are a bit brittle before you put them on the keys, but once on they are basically part of the keyboard.

Also, I can email you/attach the file I used to print the decals in case somebody wants to print their own - just let me know. Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions!

(#2) Old

Default 06-13-2009, 03:34 AM

cool! how did you do the glowing mac and the mac mini on the bezel???
  (#3) Old

Default 06-13-2009, 03:37 AM

That is really sweet! Did you print out the MacBook mini logo with the same stuff?

I'd be interested in that along with the key logos! PM me if you can!

btw, im in Canada...

ps.....what keyboard layout is that? That is really different from mine, and the others i've seen around. Your backspace key is so tiny!

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8
  (#4) Old

Default 06-13-2009, 03:46 AM

Some glowing mac logo instructions are here:

Surgery for Apple Logo - MyDellMini

Msi Wind Forums • View topic - Guide to Glowing Apple Logo using LCD Backlight (no wiring!)

Basically, you order a back from an ibook, etc off of ebay and use that clear apple logo. Then you take the mini apart, trace the logo on the back, cut and sand it out (carefully), and put it all back together. The nice thing is you only need to cut the plastic backing - we don't need to cut anything off the back of our LCD and risk trashing it like the MSI wind people do (we do have to peel a sticker back from it but that is really easy).

The MacBook mini sticker I just printed out on some silver metallic paper and then laminated it. It looks like a sticker, but it looks like it is supposed to be a sticker (like from the factory that way). The font is Myriad Semibold. Maybe not perfect, but it is way better than the "Dell" that was there before. Here is a link to the pic I used as inspiration:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...-stickers.html

I'm sorry I don't have any more of the silver sticker paper for the MacBook mini stickers, but that should be relatively easy to find - I actually used an old Metallic printable CD label that you stick on after printing. I am happy to ship you some keyboard decals though. You can email me at jimnicoloff@yahoo.com and that is also my paypal. Wait on the payment please until I have time to make sure postage to Canada isn't $2 or something crazy.

My keyboard is the US/INTL (Dell Part #U061H) that I recently ordered from Dell Parts. You have to do mash a couple buttons after you install it to get the mini to recognize it (see first post of link below), but it works perfectly with OSX. I have the old keyboard sitting around and I cut the decals small enough that they should fit on the original keys without any extra trimming, but they are also large enough to cover everything and stay centered on the INTL keyboard.

Replacement Keyboard more normal (US-Intl)

Oh yeah, thank you to everybody on this forum (especially threads I have linked because without them this MacBook mini would not have been possible).
  (#5) Old

Default MacBook mini logo - 06-13-2009, 08:52 AM

By popular demand, here is the image file I made for the Mini 9. It is scaled for the Mini 9 - just throw it into Word or something that does not manipulate image size based on resolution and you'll have a little extra black around the edges to trim off.

Sorry again I don't have any more of that sticker paper.

Here is one with capital Mini if you are into that sort of thing

(#6) Old

Default 06-13-2009, 06:22 PM

offtopic: err you moved your alt key??

Dell Mini 9 White OSX 10.6.7 | Bios A04 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | 1GB | 32GB SSD | 0.3Mpx | Bluetooth ON | USB Legacy Off
  (#7) Old

Default 06-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Yeah I popped off the Alt key and command key and swapped them so they match how it would be on a normal macbook.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-14-2009, 02:18 AM

That's completely brilliant!
  (#9) Old

Default 06-14-2009, 02:45 PM

Excellent!

Shot at 2009-01-06

Dell mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OS X (10.6.7)
  (#10) Old

Default 06-14-2009, 03:17 PM

PayPal sent.

Tags
apple, decal, keyboard, mini 9, osx

« .plist issue in mountain lion | Machintosh no detect my hard disk internal »