General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default DellEFIBootMaker vs DellMiniBoot123 - 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM

Since "bmaltais" released DellEFIBootMaker I have used this "One USB Stick" method, exclusively, with complete success. It is the essence of simplicity. Why would anyone continue to use the "Two USB Stick" method? Does it not work for some members?

Not being critical, of course. I just wonder if I am missing something.

Dell Mini10v, 64GB RunCore Pro IV SATA SSD, 2GB Memory, A06 BIOS, 10.6.7, NBI 20100616212351, Bluetooth enabled (external dongle), USB Legacy disabled.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 06-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Essentially, the BootMaker is Mac-only, so it leaves Windows-only users out in the cold (as if they didn't already have enough challenges.) I cannot confirm it yet, but I don't think there is a boot CD using the same software available anywhere (though I have tried to make my own) which would be needed for a DVD install, and I don't think the Chameleon boot loader recognizes DVD drives. On the Mac side, Leopard is required, as well as an Intel processor, otherwise the app won't work.

In my experience, the one big flaw with the software is the postinstall script. I hate redundant commands, so when I was rewriting the guide I spent a few hours trying to figure out why I could not boot into my SSD. I tried using the USB stick, DellMiniBoot, anything I could, and it would just stick at a black screen. Turns out that if you don't run the postinstall command, the install won't work at all, even if you have an alternate boot loader. I find that odd and somewhat annoying, but luckily I don't do a fresh install too often.

As for DellMiniBoot, it's just tried and tested, and it works. Not as convenient, especially for Mac-only users, but I always fall back to it if BootMaker doesn't work.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

« I need help | Installing MAC OS X on SD Card and Boot from SSD »