General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Unhappy 06-11-2009, 02:19 AM

How did you reformat the SDD-I cant get to disk utility. That is what I would like to do. I have spent 10 hours on this thing.Were you able to boot into the OSX DVD to reformat.

(#12) Old
Default 06-11-2009, 03:16 AM

you should able to as soon as you began to install you should as least get to a boot or start screen try starting over. Utilities is in the Menu Bar,
  (#13) Old
Default 06-13-2009, 11:51 AM

just to complete this saga. I did a total reinstall using mechdrew's USB METHOD last night.Followed it word by work using the software suggested rather than trying to salvage the old system. sTEP 10 was the only problem where i got the grey screen with scratch marks. Just kept restarting with flash drive out or in and finally I got back to DeLEFI 1.25a to clean up the system. nOW i HAVE REAL SOUND FROM THE MINI but it may be a bit slower on booting up. Just keep trying mechdrew's methodi ALMOST THREW OUT THE MINI AS NO OTHER SUGGESTION WORKED.

(#14) Old
Default 06-18-2009, 06:07 PM

The DellEFI versions seem to be crucial.

First, after installing 10.5.1 or so from the DVD, DellEFI 1.1 (!) is required. Then after the combo update to 10.5.7 use DellEFI 1.2a5. At least for me it worked.

(#15) Old
Send a message via AIM to CyborgMI
Default 07-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Yeah, same problem here after trying to upgrade to 10.5.7. I can even REFORMAT the Dell disk w/ Disk Utilities but several attempts to install OS X from a retail disk fails at the end, then the Mini can't find an OS I guess I'll read up on DellEFI 1.1 etc.

Any other suggestions (since I CAN get to disk utilities etc.) would be great --

Intel UNDI, PXW-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright Intel Corp

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet controller v1.09 (080408)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE Rom.
Operating System not found
  (#16) Old
Default Seems this worked.... - 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM

I too had hosed my 10.5.6 upgrading (through the automatic Software Update...) to 10.5.7.

After re-booting my screen was unrecognizable, gray and remnant laden.

I was however able to boot into safe mode. I then "restored" the disk (disk utility) to another SSHD (or any HDD) via usb cable.

I ran the Mac OSX install on the Dell Mini9. Rather than a "clean" install I used the Transfer option using the "restored" image, in effect returning my OS to 10.5.5...

I the followed the proper upgrade path using the Combo 10.5.7 (DellEfi steps)...

Seems to be back on track. I will try to keep up with this site in the future!

Hope this helps!!
  (#17) Old
Send a message via ICQ to mfilos Send a message via MSN to mfilos
Default 07-14-2009, 12:14 PM

Had the same issues after combo upgrading...

Couldn't boot into safe mode to apply the DellEFI 1.2a5 but after 15 mins of tries I accidentally managed to boot into safe mode, applied DellEFI and restart was a success!!!

My advice is to just persist into the Shift+Enter method (if you use v1.2a5) and you'll get it done. Dunno if the timing of pressing shift makes any difference... The moment you'll manage to get into safe mode... you're done :P
  (#18) Old
Default 07-14-2009, 07:33 PM

I'm stuck on upgrading to 10.5.7. After the gray screen with the apple I get this as I try to boot in safe mode

"mac os version: not yet set"

"kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0

then System model name: Inspiron 1011

Then it just hangs there? Any suggestions short of a complete reinstall.

reinstall osx on mini

« Remapping Key on the left of space to Page down | Mini 9 keyboard in Mac OS X? »