General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 06-12-2009, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Isn't installing any Mac OS on non-Apple hardware already a violation of the OS EULA? Not that I'm advocating any change in site policy, but from that perspective as long as the DVD isn't pirated (making it doubly illegal!), isn't it basically the same deal - i.e. whether the DVD is supposed to be installed on a specific Mac model or any Mac model, installing it on a Dell is definitely against the license?
Two wrongs will never make it right, so at least try to be as legal as possible. Even if there are ways to install using the OEM disc it isn't right, even if the EULA says not to install on non-Apple hardware.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#12) Old
Default 06-12-2009, 02:03 AM

Fair enough. I guess as well if you buy the retail version from an authorized reseller, at least they get some money for it.

Side question - if you buy a retail copy of OSX used, is there any way at all to check that the previous owner is no longer using it? e.g. if you try to register will it say that someone else is already running it?
  (#13) Old
Default 06-12-2009, 06:26 AM

I finally remembered to post a summary of previous conversations we've had on this forum about this topic: . Please check it out if you're interested in this conversation.

There is no way to tell if a previously owned OS X retail disc has been used to install a an instance of the OS that is currently being used because there are no unique IDs for OS X retail discs. Because all retail discs are the same, registering does not tell Apple anything about your installation. It's really an honor system, which is another reason to love Apple.
  (#14) Old
Default 06-12-2009, 06:27 AM

"if you try to register will it say that someone else is already running it?"

No. There's no activation code.

Dell mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OS X (10.6.7)
  (#15) Old
Default 06-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by blackdir View Post

Anyone can confirm that my mac mini install dvd will work?
with a slight modification of the install disc it will work. It's pretty straight forward and since you already own a retail disc, you shouldn't have a problem doing so. Look here:
  (#16) Old
Default 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Yesterday I completed the installation following the dellefi mechdrive guide using the std mac mini's (grey) installation disk (10.5.6). Only difference is that I made 2 partitions: first (mac os extended jurnal) and second (FAT) - partition type GUID.

The reason I made 2 partition is that I wanted also to install Linux as second OS.

The installation went fine, also the update to 10.5.7 and I installed the DellEFI as indicated in the guide selecting only the reccommended option.

After shutdown I moved the runcore to my dell mini 9, I disabling USB legacy from mini 9 BIOS, but then I was not able to boot.

I mean: I got the Chamaleon splash screen, If I press esc I can select the partition I want to boot from, then I get the OSX boot screen but no spinning wheel and nothing happen.

Is there something I could do on mini 9 such booting with -x or -f parameter and reinstall DellEFI or am I forced to redo the installation via other media (for example usb DVD connected to mini 9)?

(#17) Old
Default 06-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by websfear View Post
Installing your OS from another Mac or the grey disk is a violation of the OS EULA. This site only supports legal installs of the OS from retail DVDs.
If you took the time to read the post, you would see that he/she HAS a license for Mac OS 10.5 since they own a retail copy of the software. The problem here is that the intel mac that they are using to do the runcore install method requires newer hardware drivers that are not on the retail copy since it is older than their mac(10.5.1). It is perfectly fine and legal (with the exception of the fact that it is going to be used on non-apple hardware) to use the grey restore DVD that came with your mac to do the install when you have a license for that software. There is not a single difference between the files on a retail disk of 10.5.6 and a grey restore 10.5.6 disk except for the installer app which checks the model of the computer it is being booted on.

I'm tired of all the people on this forum who immediately bash anyone who speaks the "terrible" words of "Grey install DVD" because as long as they have a software license for the OS, they can use whatever source or method of installing it that they please.

If someone has a family pack license of leopard and has an extra license, they can install leopard from whatever source they want such as a grey recovery DVD from another mac because it is the same piece of software.

Dell Mini 9 Alpine White - 16GB HD, 2GB RAM, Leopard 10.5.6
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver - 2Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 300GB HD, Leopard 10.5.6
iPhone 2G - 8GB
  (#18) Old
Default only boots with -x option - 06-13-2009, 12:58 PM

as anticipated, yesterday I tried to boot with alernative boot options.
I tried -x: it booted fine (well it took ages but booted), then i re-run the dellefi application by adding also the option create system specific files.

It run file but then again, after reboot it freeze after apple splashscreen but no spinning wheel.

Any idea of what could be the problem/how to debug?

Could it be the two partitions I created instead of one?

Any other suggestiion apart to try to install again via usb DVD?

Note: one clarification on licensing side: I own a retail version of Leopard that currently is not installed on any of my system. From licensing prospective I own that license and I'm entitled to install on one of my system. Unluckly it is rel. 10.5.1 which cannot be used with my mac mini to install on my new 32GB runcore for my mini 9. If it would have worked I would have used it and ended up with 10.5.7 after all the updates. Now, I was trying to use grey disk just because is newer then my retail version but also using that I would have ended up with 10.5.7. So IMHO it is just a metter of medium that I'm using for the installation, not a matter of license.
  (#19) Old
Default 06-13-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by websfear View Post
Installing your OS from another Mac or the grey disk is a violation of the OS EULA. This site only supports legal installs of the OS from retail DVDs.
They are all violations of the EULA - gray disk or not....
  (#20) Old
Default 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM

I think if you've bought any Mac that provides you a restore / installation (grey disk) of OS X, you should only be installing / restoring it to the Mac you purchased.

I think if you've bought any retail box version of OS X, you should be allowed to install it on any one Mac, PC, or Virtual Machine you have. If you've bought the family pack retail version, you should be allowed to install OS X on as many Mac, PCs, or Virtual Machines that you want - in your immediate family / home.

Come on folks! Apple knows all about our quaint DELL Mini Hackintoshes. Installing Mac OS X on non Apple hardware isn't something WE invented. There are plenty of other die hards using EFI-X and other ways to get The Precious on their gray boxes! If Apple wanted to, they could stop making the retail DVDs and ship OS X only with a new Mac. They could make sure the restore DVDs only worked on hardware specific installs. They could start requiring activation of the software. Can you imagine a Mac Genuine Advantage update?

They won't do this! Why? I think it's because Apple knows the vast majority of Mac enthusiasts are willing to pay for Apple hardware, Apple software, and services. I think the majority of the Hackintoshes around today are being built by folks who already own Macs ... who have paid for machines with high profit margins for Cupertino; and are likely to do so again in the future. They could push buttons and make our lives a DRM nightmare, but they don't. Now they don't like it when you try to make a profit from your Hackintosh brilliance though. Just ask Psystar about this.

I think it's a fair and reasonable request to use a retail version of OS X for our Minis or whatever machine will accept the install. I think of it as a thank you for a company who chooses not to enforce the EULA. With luck, there may come a day when they decide to change it and officially license OS X for other hardware besides their own.

« Reinstall xp - hardware configuration error | OSX Install Question - Method 3 »