General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default I need help please - 06-10-2009, 12:28 AM

Greetings, I just got my Dell Mini 9 today, its great. I'm looking to install OSX on it but have just a few questions to ask that I could not find an answer to with 'search'

First, how do I check what version my BIOS is and should I update it now, if its a04, while I have windows before I install OSX?

I have a 1gig ram/32GB stec sdd, I did buy a 2gb RAM stick, should I wait for the ram to come in before install OSX also? The guide I am looking at, How to Install Mac OS X: DellEFI Method says that there are two DELL EFI bootmakers, one for each RAM size

Lastly, I've searched and searched, but I just can't find a way to install OSX using an USB External DVD drive. I've seen it done on youtube, but I couldnt find step by steps online... any help?

Thank you
  (#2) Old
Default 06-10-2009, 01:36 AM

You have not looked hard enough! This is linked in the stickies at the top of the forum but not directly. That's okay'll get used to the site the more you visit.

This is what you're looking for. Guide Method 3: Install using External DVD Drive | DellEFI | mechdrew

To check your BIOS version, boot into the bios (press 2 when booting) and read it from there. A04 to A05 doesn't provide any big gains for OS X (since its all patched in the dsdt), but it does a bunch for windows.

I would upgrade it anyways if I were you. Since you still have windows on your Mini, just update it how Dell recommends.

Also, install your ram before OS X, that way the dsdt patcher will patch it for the proper amount of memory, otherwise you will need to re-run this after you change the memory.

Good luck!

Cherry Red Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 0.3 MP Webcam
BIOS A06 | 10.6.8
  (#3) Old
Default 06-10-2009, 04:01 AM

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate it. Haha I guess I didn't look hard enough after all. Oh well, I won't be dual booting with my Mini9, so I guess I won't do the A05 Update, since I only have an 8gb flash drive anyway, and I couldnt find any improvements for OSX on the site.

« safari4 very faster !!! crash.... | Returning the Mini - replace OS X with original Linux? »