General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Virtualization and boot camp questions - 06-07-2009, 02:55 AM

I installed virtualbox and tried setting up a machine on my dell mini 10v hackintosh and virtualbox won't start the vm. Is virtualbox compatable with the hackintosh or is any vm software comaptable?

Also, I was wondering if boot camp works in the hackintosh. If not, does anyone know if grub does? IE, if I were to install linx on top of os x would grub be able to boot os x?

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 06-07-2009, 03:25 AM

The latest version of VirtualBox for some reason has the VTx enabled, which is not compatible with the Mini. You can turn it off, but I think it requires a hack. Not sure, haven't looked at it in a while. Probably the easiest option is to get an older 2.0.x version, use it to create the virtual machine, and then upgrade to the latest.

As for Boot Camp, it does not work. There are ways to multi-boot, you can look at my multi-boot guide which also has some links for threads on this forum about other multi-boot experiences. Not sure about grub to be honest.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 04:07 AM

Ok so if I downgrade virtualbox to like 2.2 I should be able to create the machine then just upgrade? I'll try it, thx.
  (#4) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 11:07 AM

There is a way to turn off VT-x if you edit the virtual machine's .xml file in textedit, hang on i'll just get the ol' Mini 9 :P

If you make sure VirtualBox is closed, go to User/Library/VirtualBox/Machines then open the folder which has your machine in, then open the .xml file inside.

There should be a line which reads
<HardwareVirtEx enabled="true"/>
delete the enabled="true" bit so it reads
<HardwareVirtEx />

This should turn VT-x off. I've got Windows XP running on my mini 9 through VirtualBox with no VT-x and its darn fast, about 90% speed i'd guess.

BTW found this in a forum somewhere I can't find so credit goes to them.

EDIT: Found it :P how to disable vt-x when checked marked and greyed out ? (View topic) &bull;
  (#5) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 05:59 PM

I tried downgrading and that didn't work and I also tried installing parallels and that just said my computer doesn't support virtualization. I'm definitely going to do what you suggested tho, I just need to update my virtualbox and I'll let you know.

Thanks again
  (#6) Old
Expert Member
Default 06-08-2009, 12:14 AM

Parallels version 3.x will work, version 4 requires VT instructions so won't work.

If you are dual booting or using virtualization you'll want to add the boot camp control panel to your windows install even though boot camp itself won't work with any hackintosh. It will fix the clock since windows uses local time and Mac/linux use universal time. (not quite but its a simplified explanation)

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« Setting default programs? | Ubuntu under OSX & Fusion »