General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Unhappy Fitting the OSX Install image on a 7,5gig USB stick - 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM

Hey guys!
I've been trying for the better part of a week to get this working in preparation for my Mini 9 arriving.
I bought a Sony 8gig USB Stick for the OSX install image. Go figure, it formats to 7.5gig and is 113 mb too small to fit the OSX 10.5.6 DVD onto it. When formatting the drive with the DMG image trough TransMac I can't read all the files after the format and everything is terrible.

What I've tried to do, and failed miserably:
* Tried to mount the DMG image in Linux to delete silly files and size it down
- Not able to do this, since it registers as ISO 9660, and not as HPF / HPF+ due to the Bootcamp partition.

* Tried to delete files from the image and formatting the USB drive with it after the deletion
- No success. The image retains it's original size, even after deleting files as it's a virtual partition, and I have no way to resize it in Windows.

I've tried a few other things as well, but no success what so ever thus far.

Just so we keep things clear, I'm a Windows user, and I don't own a Mac, neither does my friends who are avid gamers (Mac and OSX are curse words in their book. ). I know my way around Linux (to some extent), and got quite a few years of experience with computers (Closing to 18 years now) but I'm at my wits' end. With OSX this would be so incredibly simple it's just stupid, but alas I have no OSX machine for smacking my USB stick into shape (Naughty naughty! )

Do you have any ideas, thoughts, guides to refer me to? I'm up for any suggestion!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 06-03-2009, 07:51 AM

There is a compression technique that can be used. It's not ideal, since it relies on older software and still includes the unnecessary Windows partition, but if you are interested you can look at my old guide and look at part I (the last part).

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old

Default 06-03-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
There is a compression technique that can be used. It's not ideal, since it relies on older software and still includes the unnecessary Windows partition, but if you are interested you can look at my old guide and look at part I (the last part).
Interesting!
I'll try this out once I get home. I hope to see my Mini9 in the mail today.

Cheers mechdrew!

Tags
7.5gig, osx, usb, windows

« MAC OSX 5.6 Install error... | Mac Switch Guide »