General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 06-02-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by mfruit View Post
The OP didn't have sleep working at all.
No, not quite - sleep works fine as long as I don't have a USB mouse plugged in. I can close the lid and the power light pulsates and everything. When I open the lid, it wakes up just fine. No problem at all.

But twice in the last five days, I (accidentally) put it to sleep (by closing the lid) while I had a USB mouse plugged in. It had the expected lockup, but then when I did a hard reset with the power button, it would not boot at all. Safe mode doesn't work.

Oh, and this doesn't happen every time. Sometimes I can do a hard reset and then it comes up just fine.

But when it gets in this mode, the "startup wheel" just spins and spins, and the machine never reboots. I've let it run as long as ten minutes, and it just keeps spinning.

Should I wait longer for the journal to do its thing? I have a G5 tower, and the journal never takes a long time on the rare occasions when it crashes.

(#12) Old
Default 06-03-2009, 12:05 AM

Try booting in verbose mode, and see what it says.
  (#13) Old
Default 06-03-2009, 12:06 AM

That's weird. The only setting that I know of where sleep works but a USB mouse can't be attached is BT Off and USB Legacy On. Incidentally that's also the setting for being able to restart-after-sleep.

As for your troubles after a hard reset, I'm not sure as I've never run into it before. I've had to hard reset lots of times but have never had any problems booting afterwards.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.
  (#14) Old
Default 06-03-2009, 04:40 PM

OK, here's another data point suggesting that there may be something wrong with my Mini 9. I tried to boot into single user mode so I could run fsck. I booted the machine with the -s flag, and it started booting into single user mode, but the scrolling text stopped at a line that read

PIIXPATA: setting power state

There was no more scrolling text and no prompt even after waiting a couple of minutes. Keyboard activity did nothing. I had to do a hard reset. Fortunately it came back up. Does this sound like a hardware problem maybe? Does the fact that it stopped at a line that has "PATA" in it maybe indicate a bad Parallel ATA SSD? (It's the stock drive that came in the machine.) Is there software for OS X to test this?

I'm still waiting for a 16 GB flash drive to be delivered so I can image the SSD before attempting further experimentation. Will report back.

Edit: Oh, yes, and if it gets into the mode where it won't boot at all, I'll boot it in verbose mode and report back as to where it hangs.

(#15) Old
Default 06-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Hmm - I have never run into any issues with sleeping and my USB mouse plugged in. I normally run with Legacy support for USB off and bluetooth on in the BIOS.

Dell Mini 9 - 2gb RAM - 32gb RunCore - OS X 10.5.7
Please use my link to sign up for your FREE 2GB DropBox

« Sims 3? | question about sleep / hibernate ... maybe »