General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Installing OS X for idiots? - 06-01-2009, 07:25 PM

I'm not an idiot by any means, but I've never ran os x so I have no idea what kext's are or what the differences are between the loaders, so I don't even know where to begin. All the guides seem to want you to already have a mac to install on the mini which I don't have. Are there any good step by step guides, using the newest hacks for the 10v? I have a couple external ide/sata adapters but they don't seem to be bootable so I'd be doing it off flash drives.

Any help is appreciated. TIA.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 06-02-2009, 03:22 AM

Part of my old guide contains instructions for Windows. You'll want to use those big external drives if you can, though. Anyway, here's a link: Old Guide | DellEFI | mechdrew
Check part I.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old
Default 06-03-2009, 07:50 PM

One of my ide to usb adapters ended up being bootable so I just had to take out my dual layer out of my main pc and connect it up and it worked great. I didn't have a flash drive that was big enough and when I burned the boot iso to a flash drive it didn't work, so burning everything disks and booting off the external worked great. Anyway, thanks for the great work, I'm actually on my mini 10v in os x right now and everything works great. I cloned the hard drive so I have a backup so I don't have to do this again.
  (#4) Old
Default 06-04-2009, 03:24 AM

Just curious, but you said you've never used OS X before, yet you still want to install it on your netbook? I'm impressed that you'd be willing to fork over ~ $100 for something sight unseen. Impressed and a little suspicious.
  (#5) Old
Default 06-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Why not? I've switched permanently to linux and have been using windows since the early 90s and dos before that. When I got this netbook the first thing I did was back up the xp install and wipe it and put linux. Once I saw the os x guides I figured why not.
  (#6) Old
Default 06-06-2009, 10:54 PM

mechandrew's guide is already easy enough

as long as you can read and follow simple instructions, you will have no problems.

selling mini9 64gb 2gb ram // <3 apple & mydellmini

« Was Dell trying to tell us something? | GPS on the Dell Mini 9 with WWAN card »