General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default "" and Time Machine - 06-01-2009, 06:51 PM

I recently had issues with some unrecoverable files, so I restored to a certain point using Time Machine. Before doing this, my Mini was working fine, but now I get the dreaded:

"system config file '/' not found"

I can boot to my partition just fine using a USB key with syslinux (I used the two USB key setup when I installed OS X). I hit ESC, 81, Enter, and all is well in the world. The problem is when I try to boot up without the USB key. What happened in the course of restoring my OS from Time Machine that caused the OS to no longer be able to find the partition without a little help from the syslinux USB key? And what can I do to help it find the partition on its own?

(#2) Old
Default 06-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Does the plist actually exist?

You might want to try reinstalling the bootloader. Launch DellEFI, select custom, and the "Reinstall PCEFIV9 Bootloader" (or whatever your version of DellEFI says as this was from v1.1) option.
  (#3) Old
Default 06-03-2009, 06:06 PM

I would try reinstalling the bootloader as mfruit suggested. It really sounds like the file is corrupt or missing. Reinstalling should replace that.

Dell Mini 9 - 2gb RAM - 32gb RunCore - OS X 10.5.7
Please use my link to sign up for your FREE 2GB DropBox
  (#4) Old
Default 06-04-2009, 01:13 PM

I reinstalled the bootloader, and that fixed the issue with the boot partition. I have some quirky issues now with keychains on specific programs (Blogo comes to mind right away). I don't know why changing the bootloader would corrupt part of the keychain. I did keychain first aid, but it showed nothing that needed to be repaired. Weird. Nonetheless, I'm booting now into the right partition, so I guess I can deal with the other items on a break/fix basis.

Thanks for the help.

« calibrate monitor in syst prefs? | apple.Boot.plist not found? »