General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default USB Thumbdrive / USB Key and Sleep in OSX - 05-31-2009, 08:46 PM

I have an A90/mini9 Dell with OSX.

If I have a USB thumbdrive / USB Key mounted on the desktop is OSX and I close the lid and the computer goes to sleep, when I open the lid and it wakes back up, I get an error message about not dismounting the drive. Any ideas how I can keep the drive in, and let the computer go to sleep?

(#2) Old
Default 05-31-2009, 09:53 PM

i get this same problem... dunno how to fix it though.

Dell Mini 9
Obsidian Black//JUST reformatted back to Mac OS X 10.5.6 and i love it fast and reliable (and no batter issue! .//DellEFI 1.1//Stock 16 GB SSD//Kingston HyperX 2GB RAM//1.3 MP Cam

For sale
Stock 1GB RAM for Dell Mini 9. $10
  (#3) Old
Default 06-01-2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by nathug View Post
Any ideas how I can keep the drive in, and let the computer go to sleep?
The Mini 9 powers off the USB ports during sleep. I'm pretty sure this is a physical hardware limitation and therefore no solution is available.

As a potential workaround you could eject the volume in OS X but leave the USB drive physically connected before sleeping. Then when you wake the device it may recognize the drive as being newly attached and re-mount it. Not sure how well this would work, but it's worth a try.
  (#4) Old
Default 06-01-2009, 12:34 PM

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
  (#5) Old
Default 06-01-2009, 06:58 PM

There's a workaround I use but it has its own issues. Power down your mini9 and make sure it is plugged in. Enable Bluetooth, USB Legacy and USB Wake in BIOS and restart, leaving your mini9 plugged in. When Leopard boots up put your machine to sleep and wake up, leaving it plugged in. It should successfully wake from sleep! Now you can unplug it and sleep/wake as many times as you like. For me, having those three options enabled fixed all my sleep/wake issues related to bluetooth and USB, including the message about unmounting USB drives, no restart after sleep, bluetooth pan networking after sleep, etc.

Obviously the quirk here is that you need to sleep/wake with the mini plugged in once, then you can unplug and do what you'd like. I use Voodoo kernel, but this shouldn't matter. Try it and report back!

« Software update killed my display driver? | Reinstall Remote disc app? »