General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Max OSX SSD Space Usage - 05-31-2009, 12:03 AM

I have a 16GB SSD on my Mini 10v and I want to isntall OS X however does anyone have any idea how much space it will take on the drive and how I could lower the space used? Ive managed to get Windows 7 down to 3GB so I hope it wont be much more.

(#2) Old
Default 06-07-2009, 05:30 PM

I can't give specific comments to the 10v or stock ssd, but on my runcore install - off the retail leopard install disc, you can click "Customize" just prior to install. From there you can deselect everything (over a GB of print drivers, another gig of foreign languages, unix support, etc). You can get OSX down to 6 GB or so without removing anything besides stuff you would never use.
There are other programs that will let you make an iso of your disc (or start with an osx iso) and remove features (mail app, dvd player, etc) prior to your install as well. I didn't mess with that though since I have the 64 gig drive. Or you could probably track down an iso with those features already ripped... but i'm not sure how that would like the auto updates pushed by apple.
  (#3) Old
Default 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM

I have 10.5.7 installed - as suggested I deselected all other language options during install - I did not remove any other apps from the install. I have since installed full iWork09 and iPhoto09 (only) from the iLife09 suite. I run a 16GB SDHC card for data storage. I have 3.7GB free after using XSlimmer to remove all the other language options from the installed packages and the powerpc code. This was 4GB but after the last round of iLife updates and OSX updates - I lost a bit - have not had time to analyse where it went yet. Anyway, you will have space with a 16GB SSD.

Dell Mini 9 32GB SaberTooth-AA SSD, 2GB RAM, Camera, B'tooth, 16GB SDHC OSX 10.5.7
Macbook Pro 320GB, 4GB RAM OSX 10.6.3
Dell SC440 Q6600 CPU, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600GT GFX, OSX 10.5.7
ASUS eee1000HE, 10.6.2, with wifi card replaced with Apple card.
  (#4) Old
Default 06-12-2009, 08:31 AM

I've just got my 9 mini (osx 10.5.7 16GB) like 2 weeks and I've got

* Iphone SDK
* Zend CE Server

Just don't install all the apps and remove some (chess???), remove the printers, speech , use xtrimmer to reduce your apps. I've also inserted a 8GB SD card just in case ;-) ... at this moment I have around 3GB left.

« SDHC - Writing causes Finder hang | External monitor issues »