General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Issue booting from external disc drive - 05-27-2009, 06:12 PM

I upgraded directly to 10.5.7 from inside mac os x (noobie move) and since then my display has been totally fubared with a white screen and some black lines but the mouse visible and movable. I dl'd and burned a windows 7 image hoping that i could simply wipe the os x install with the windows 7 but unfortunately the mini 9 is now not allowing me to boot from a cd, I used the type11 method to install and still have my bootdisk, any advice would be appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-27-2009, 10:07 PM

When I installed OSX last night this happened to me. I had to press - during the bootloader and type -x -f to get around it by force booting into safe mode...

(#3) Old
Default 05-28-2009, 12:07 AM

ok ill give that a shot, you typed that from the boot: prompt im assuming. what did you do next? reinstall os x?
  (#4) Old
Default 05-28-2009, 05:46 AM

From where you are at you want to start at this point..

3. Boot into SAFE MODE (DellEFI 1.1 use "-x" at the prompt | DellEFI1.2 hold SHIFT)
4. After booting into Safe Mode, run the DellEFI 1.1 or 1.2a5 (whichever you chose) *READ STEP 5 before running!!!*
5. You want to do a "Custom" DellEFI -- reinstall the Mini 9 Extensions and recreate custom dsdt.aml file
6. Reboot

Post Upgrade
1. Re-run the AboutThisMac.pkg
  (#5) Old
Default After updating to screen failed too. - 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM

Exactly what happened to pvj22, happened to me. I got my dell mini directly from dell...loaded with ubuntu, and a 16 gig ssd.
I followed the instructions using boot disk....type 11, and a retail leopard disk, external usb drive. Worked to a tee. Updated to problems. But .....then stupidly I hit update one night and whammo! It tried to update to 10.5.7. I booted up....and got a white screen .....with a few black lines.....could mouse around and see cursur but that was all.
I tried re installing from scratch using my boot disk, retail disk, and external drive.....but I cannot successfully do this anymore since the update.
I don't know why. I finally booted the ubuntu recovery disk that came with the mini, and got it back to what is supposed to be the way I got it...and then tried again to what I had done before using same disks, and methods, and external drives...But I can only get as far as booting the boot disk,,,,and when I get to point of hitting escape and typing in 9f for boot method, with having already switched to the retail disk.....after hitting enter nothing happens. Just sits there.
Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks Lucky Louie.

« GPS from Dell 5530 on Mac? | Purpose of dsdt.aml »