General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default RAM Drive - 05-25-2009, 05:42 PM

I use the Super Talent 32 GB SSD for OS X. Performance is good enough, but there are constant 5 second + pauses when browsing or doing anything for that matter. That makes the Mini9 not as usable as it should be.

I got the idea to try using a RAM drive/disk in OS X. I have a 2GB stick and there is plenty of RAM to go around. I used Esperance DV. There is a significant boost in performance. Apps launch within one bounce. Safari is quick and the machine is much better overall. I recommend those with the slower SSDs try it out.

For those unfamiliar with a RAM drive/disk. There was an option in OS 9 where you could dedicate a portion of your ram as virtual drive and launch apps from that drive, instead of a regular HD. Considering RAM runs markedly faster than a HD, then there is an overall speed improvement for those apps running off the RAM drive.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 06:51 PM

this sounds interesting but i am new to OSX so i dont quite get it... i would like to know if this solution can help with overall performance of an application rather than just opening it faster. An application such a media player.

« Boot from USB? | syslinux? »