General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Boot from USB? - 05-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Is it possible to boot up this netbook from a USB flash drive? I'm just thinking that 99% of the time I will be using OSX, but very seldomly I may want to start up Windows. I guess another possibility would be to install one of the VM's and then keep the files for the VM on the USB flash drive. Performance would suck compared to the SSD, but I would only be using it occasionally anyway.

Any other comments? Just trying to avoid a full blown dual boot scenario which would suck up space on the SSD and sounds like GUID/MBR issues are a pain in the neck for dual booting.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 11:20 PM

Yes, it's certainly possible to boot from a USB flash drive. If you take a look at the FAQ and How To sections you will notice that most of the install instructions require booting from USB. I occasionally boot from a USB disk drive, that has an image of my internal drive, to test new stuff.

MINI Cooper | 1.3L | 110 HP | 5 Spd | Sunroof
Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.3 | 2 GB | 32 GB SSD
  (#3) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 11:44 PM

I think the OP was asking about booting Windows from a USB flash drive. It's possible as I've seen a few tutorials about how to modify XP to support USB boot but it seem like a bit of a hassle so I've never tried it.
  (#4) Old
Default 05-25-2009, 10:46 AM

I tried to install WindowsXP on a 8GB USB drive and boot from it, but couldn't get Windows to install on the USB...

Then i installed VMWare Fusion and installed the same WindowsXP SP3 iso on that same 8GB USB drive (formatted in MacOSX Journeled), and it work...but since my USB drive is a MicroSD card reader with a Class2 MicroSD Card, Windows freezes sometimes and is slow...

Today i moved my Virtual machine image to my 32GB Runcore SSD and everything was working fine and a lot faster !

I have VMWare to run on my 2nd space desktop in full screen mode, and no i have on my 1st Desktop MacOSX 10.5.7 and with a click i have WindowsXP on my 2nd desktop.

« USB issue. Need help. | RAM Drive »