General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default DellEFI 1.2a5 crashes plugging in external monitor - 05-24-2009, 01:51 PM

I am using DellEFI 1.2a5 and installed OS X 10.5.7 Combo update using the external RunCore method onto a 32GB RunCore from a retail 10.5.6 DVD using my Macbook Air.
The Mini 9 has Bluetooth and 2GB RAM using A05 BIOS with Legacy USB and USB Wake disabled.

I have also installed the modified two finger scrolling Touchpad driver and the AboutThisMac package; added the UK mini keyboard map;plus edited the bluetooth device prodId/deviceId config so I can turn bluetooth on and off from the menu bar.

So far so good :-) Everthing is working fine and no apparent problems... until I tried plugging in my monitor into the VGA port, at which point the Mini just locks up and I have to press and hold the power button to shut it down.

The monitor is a ViewSonic VS12264 with a native resolution of 1920x1080 60Hz. I plugged it into the Mac Air VGA miniDisplayPort dongle, as this is also running 10.5.7, and it works fine. So it appears to be the Mini9 GMA950 driver crashing.

I tried plugging in a Dell 1702 monitor and this works on the Mini. A 20" Dell 1600x1200 monitor gives the mirror effect corruption, but running mirror off fixed it and it worked at 1600x1200 on the Mini9 OS X.

I tried the old "mirror friendly" driver mentioned in DellEFI 1.2a5, (surprised that I didn't have to reboot after selecting it), but it still just locks up.

I think the System/Library/Displays entry is Vendor Id 756e6b6e and product Id 717.

So any ideas how I can stop the Mini9 crashing when I plug in the ViewSonic?

« can't locate mach kernels | Lightweight image software w/ raw support »