General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Programs To Remove - 05-23-2009, 06:39 PM

What programs should I run or remove to free up disk space on the Dell Mini 9 ?
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to villaphoto Send a message via Skype™ to villaphoto
Default 05-23-2009, 07:25 PM

I'd suggest running monolingual and xslimmer before anything. This is what I did, it free'd up around 2.5 gb for me which was perfect for installing updates. Then I ran it again, after the updates were installed allowing for 2.03 gb's free with iWork 09' and Photomechanic installed.
  (#3) Old
Default 05-23-2009, 07:32 PM

I dumped the printer drivers. I also ran AppCleaner and got rid of BootCamp, since it won't run on the mini. I also dumped iChat ( I don't chat) and Mail ( I use Google Mail). I am considering getting rid of Front Row, I don't think it works with the mini. I might dump it in the future, if I need the space.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 05-23-2009, 09:01 PM

Go to your SDD, then System, Library, Speech, Speech Voices, and remove all of the folders there except Fred. That will give another ~700MB.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#5) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 09:35 AM

If you havent seen this already, I recommend you check out this link and do all of those steps. Five ways to slim down your Mac OS X install - Ars Technica

Other apps you can uninstall really depend on your needs and wants. I personally kept ical and mail since I prefer to have an app to check my mail instead of a webpage. You can substitute mail with lighter apps like thunderbird tho.

There are a lot of apps you can get rid of in the utilities folder. You most likely wont need the midi stuff, airport, boot camp, directory stuff, odbc, voice over, raid utility, color utilities, and maybe X11. I didnt install X11 to start with.

Other default apps you can get rid of are front row, font book, DVD player, and dictionary. There are apps you can replace like mail as stated before, safari, quicktime with vlc, ichat with adium, itunes, not sure what to repalce it with, but Im sure there are much lighter apps. If you dont use isync you can get rid of that too. After all the slimming, I was able to get to down around 5gb or so, but i kept some of the larger apps that could save more space.
  (#6) Old
Default 05-31-2009, 04:33 AM

Interesting link matthaios. Thanks!

Can anyone help me how to remove the built in languages of Leopard. At the time of the isntall I just sticked with the standard installation and now I would like to loose a little weight.

Thanks for helping!

« Resize partition the dualboot xp | Photo Booth hangs! »