General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Macbook Air vs. Mini 9 - 05-23-2009, 07:12 AM

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone on this amazing forum. I've learned a lot and I've been able to hackintosh my Mini 9 through the incredible efforts of people like you.

I'd like to share my thoughts here as I have a Macbook Air 1.6/80GB (first iteration Air).

The main reason for buying the Air was to use it during travel and as a "coffee shop" laptop. But (and this is a testament to the great people on this forum), if I had the Mini 9 with OS X at that time, I would've never bought the Air.

While of course, the screen is better on the Air and the Macbook keyboard is amazing (IMHO), the size and weight of the Mini 9 is just perfect for a size/weight reduction fanatic like me.

The other thing that puts the Air to shame is the number of USB ports; I've never been able to connect two (small non-powered drives) with a non-powered hub --and I've tried 3 so far-- to my Air to copy files between them. They'll only work if I power up the USB hub. With the Mini 9 I can connect the two drives directly to the usb ports and have them working without any problems.

I did this Mini 9 project just for the fun of it first, thinking that if things don't go well I can always have Ubuntu on it, but now I find myself using (and carrying) the M9 almost all the time instead of the Air.

I like the size, the weight (a difference of 306 grams) the instantaneous SSD and I LOVE the fact that the M9 has no fans. I REALLY HATE IT when the fan blasts off on my Air for the simplest thing.

Still though, I think if Apple comes up with a netbook, I might cave in and buy it (but never be a pioneer and buy the first iteration, I've learned my lesson well).

But for the time being, and until that happens and goes through the troubleshooting stages. I've got the ever amazing M9 for my travels :-)

Thanks a million for making this possible.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-23-2009, 03:15 PM

I haven't got my mini9 setup with osx yet, but I'm trying. Your story is really encouraging and I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm going to keep at it!

« Installing OSX on Mini 9 without a MAC | Back to Ubuntu from OSX »