General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Freeze at grey apple on boot - 05-20-2009, 06:19 PM

First of all - thanks for all the guides. I just got my mini 9 yesterday and have now got 10.5.7 on it. 16gb / 2gb model. Bluetooth and 1.3mp camera.

The problem I am having is almost certainly an OSX problem, as I have had it occur on my iMac occasionaly as well.

After install and updating this morning I rebooted a few times and took my mini to work to show to some fellow mac enthusiasts - for bragging rights only

I opened it, started it and got to the grey screen with the apple on it where the spinning lines usually occur. And that's as far as it got. After 3 or 4 minutes I pressed the power button to restart, had to do it one more time as well whereupon it booted as usual.

It restarted fine for the next 5 or 6 times then froze again on the restart and it's not happened since.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or better, found a solution...

Thanks for reading this far....
  (#2) Old
Default 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM

I was having this exact issue (along with kernel panics) following my upgrade to 10.5.7. I basically re-did the DellEFI steps in Safe Boot (i.e. removing custom dsdt.aml file, rebooting back into safe boot, regenerating custom dsdt.aml and reinstall extentions). Once this was done, I still froze at boot (albeit rarely) where the spinning wheel would never show -- I decided to reinstall the bootloader with DellEFI. Since then I've not had one problem. I think it's fixed. It's been about 3 days since I "fixed" it and I haven't had it freeze at boot (or kernel panic).

Good luck.

EDIT: by the way, this is with DellEFI 1.1

« Network Sharing Icon | MAC OS X freezes when Mini 9 is closed »