General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default 05-22-2009, 01:48 PM

I had a similar problem but after upgrading from 10.5.1 -> 10.5.6 then running DellEFI worked perfectly. When I tried to run it on 10.5.1 it wouldn't work at all.
  (#12) Old
Unhappy 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
I knew I was forgetting something when I updated the guide last night! I assume that people have updated their BIOS to A05. But I don't think that is actually the problem... I'll keep looking into it. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade.
I have not upgraded from A04 to A05 on either of my Mini9's and they both work well with an install of 10.5.6 using DellEFIBootLoader 0.3.3 . . . then upgraded to 10.5.7.

I had earlier inquired about whether there was any reason to upgrade from A04 to A05 and the consensus was that there was no need to do that.

Has something changed ? ? ?

BY THE WAY . . . to the thread starter:
I also had a lot of trouble trying to install with 10.5.0 and I just went out and bought a retail copy of 10.5.6 and everything has worked perfectly since.
  (#13) Old
Default 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM

I updated the BIOS to A04 (the BIOS flasher utility said A04 was the latest for the Vostro A90) and it still reboots. It looks like it finds the hard disk, waits about 45 seconds, and then restarts.

I wasn't using the Dell Boot CD because I'm using the new guide. As described, I'm using a retail 10.5.1 disc, an external usb hard drive (80 GB), and DellEFIBootMaker. The latter tool must be working because it starts to boot OS X, but always either hangs or reboots itself. I've restored the BIOS settings to default and triple checked the settings as discussed in the guide but the behavior is no different.

I was able to get Ubuntu 9.04 NBR to install previously, but I reverted back to the default 8.04 to get the internal hard drive back to it's factory state. At this point, I put my factory 1 GB back in and it's as if I just opened it (which I only got it Tuesday) and just has the BIOS updated from A03 to A04.

Can I extract the boot log somehow and post it to see if we can get some more answers that way?
  (#14) Old
Default 05-22-2009, 05:55 PM

The old method doesn't work either, and I'm 100% sure that I've followed the new and old guides explicitly. Not to toot my own horn, since most people that say this comes across as douches and/or noobs by claiming it, but I really know my way around OS X and Linux (using both on desktop and servers at work) for 6 years, so if there's anything advanced I can try I'm certainly up to it. I'm pretty frustrated that it's not working on my computer like it does for everyone else, and unless I'm a bonehead and missing something obvious, I'm not doing anything wrong.

I was worried it might be my system so I tried to install Windows 7 and it worked just fine. I prepared the thumb drive on XP via VMware for that. I suppose it's possible my computer is borking the images somehow, but I'm using Disk Utility and all that from the DVD so I don't even know if that can be an excuse.

I'm downloading a 10.5.6 "backup test copy" but it'll take forever to download. From the looks of it, others in this forum have done what I'm trying to do with 10.5.1 with success. Can anyone with a Vostro comment on their experiences?
  (#15) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 05-22-2009, 06:20 PM

Wow, so there is a lot of nastiness there. The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is the use of safemode (-x) for the installer, I guess you could try that but I doubt it will help. I'm running out of suggestions myself.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#16) Old
Default 05-24-2009, 02:43 PM

Well, turns out it was the hard drive I was using. I got another hard drive and loaded up 10.5.6 on it, ran DellEFIBootMaker 0.3.3, and it ran just fine. I should done that first thing, but I didn't understand how an actual hard drive could've been the problem. Oh well. OS X is working great, thanks!

« Lightweight image software w/ raw support | i had to turn off then on OS X 3 time for it to boot up »