General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default VirtualBox + SharedFolder + ? = Best Solution (?) - 05-19-2009, 10:21 PM

I've got VirtualBox and Windows 7 RC installed now, not really fast but usable for some Windows-only stuff that I occasionally have to do...

I miss drag-n-drop from VirtualPC, but the price of VirtualBox makes me less likely to go out and buy Parallels 3.

So, at least easy Folder Sharing would be nice, but no luck, from what I see.

My current solution is to turn on (in OS X's System Prefs) Sharing->Options->Windows Sharing, and then just set up Windows 7 to map and automount/connect to it at boot.

My guess is that this may chew up some more processor power... but I haven't seen any easy solution for setting normal FolderSharing from the VirtualBox side.

Anyone have a sure-fire, quick, relatively painless solution that is better than mine. Ideally, I am looking for something that can be achieved by using just VirtualBox and Windows 7. (I saw a few mentions of creating a VM for XP or Vista, and then copying it into the files for Windows 7, but that seems cumbersome/overkill to me.)

Dell Mini 10v w/ 2GB SDRAM, 802.11n & BlueTooth
Snow Leopard 10.6.6
2TB of NFS mounts courtesy of foonas-ized LinkStations
as opensource TimeCapsules (+ p910nd printserver & Firefly media server)
see for details on how to make your OS X experience richer with a modded NAS device
Time Capsule/Time Machine Support on Your LinkStation

« Possible help for sleep issues in 10.5.7 | Smallest Office Suite »