General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Beach Ball during installation... - 05-19-2009, 12:57 AM

I cannot get past the partitioning part of the install. If I can even get past the EULA, it is a miracle. What keeps happening is the spinning beach ball will come up and never go away. I am attempting the install directly from the DVD drive. I tried swapping the SSD drive, but that was not the problem. I think it is a problem with the DVD drive. Once it spins down, it will not spin up again.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a bad DVD drive?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-19-2009, 01:23 AM

Yep, some dvdrom drives arn't compatible with installing osx on the mini.
Which make/model are you using?

For example, I used my Sony drive to install Win7 beta along time ago but it would not install a retail copy of osx on my DM9. So, I resorted to a 2x USB stick install. Later when I installed Win7 RC1, I ended up using a USB thumb drive for that too.

So, for osx, you might have to do without the dvdrom drive. :-/

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features

« Please help! | Best App to watch hulu, Revision3, ABC, etc. »