General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Excessive Audio Volume - 05-18-2009, 03:24 AM

Hi folks,

My mini9 is working great, but from the very first time I put OSX on, my sound volume as been really loud using the external speakers (headphones are fine). I have to leave the audio setting bezel on the very lowest setting (one blip above mute), and still am constantly lowering the volume in embedded video players or iTunes.

The operating system doesn't seem to have a provision for lowering the overall "gain" of the volume setting for external speakers (unless I missed it), besides, of course, the volume slider in the menu bar or System Preferences.

Has anyone else run into this or know of a way to tell my mini to use her "inside voice"?

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.7 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB STEC | BIOS A04 | DellEFI 1.1
  (#2) Old
Default 06-15-2009, 07:35 PM

i'm also a bit annoyed by this issue.
Question to the os x geeks. Is there any equivalent to alsactl or something were i can put a system top limit to the audio volume?

Dell Mini 9, Mac OSX 10.5.8, 1 GB Ram, 32 GB Runcore, Integrated Bluetooth, Integrated WWAN, 1,3 mp Webcam
  (#3) Old
Default 06-16-2009, 06:01 AM

You may want to try the VooDooHDA.kext "light" drivers to tone things down. Check out my Guide (it's for 10v, but should be good for 9s).

Mac Users' View on Hackintoshing a Mini 10v

It's toward the bottom, after the 2GB RAM upgrade section.

Dell Mini 10v, 2GB, 120GB, 6-Cell, BT, 802.11n | Mac OS X 10.6.1 - 10v Hackintosh Guide - Get Dropbox for Mac OS X 2GB Free

« Post your Hackintosh desktop! | Combine Retail Disk + Update? »