General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default LESS Battery Life with 10.5.7 Update - 05-17-2009, 10:00 PM

Has anyone else experienced a loss in battery life since upgrading to 10.5.7? I had a 10.5.6 running with Dell EFI 1.1 and had about 3hr 20 mins in battery life on a full charge. I then used conq's guide to upgrade to 10.5.7 and the newest Dell EFI 1.2 a 5. I now have a max of 1hr 58 minutes.

This happened on both my minis under the same conditions. I saw a few people in the main thread with the problems with not much discussion as to why/how to fix. Any ideas?

(I also lost the ability to change trackpad settings)
  (#2) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 10:37 PM

You might try regenerating the dsdt.aml file and see if the helps with the battery life. I know that mine said 2 hours after the upgrade to 10.5.7, I then deleted and regenerated the dsdt.aml, rebooted and it said around 3.5 hours. Battery life is good now.

As for the trackpad, reinstall the trackpad drivers, I find that if there is a problem with them and you reinstall, move the sliders around for most or all of the settings and then restart that they will work most of the time.

(#3) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 11:38 PM

I had similar results after following conqs method. The battery life remaining would say like 1:52 on a full charge. I also had an issue with sleep not working. I ran DellEFI 1.1 again with the automatic settings (which had only "regenerate dsdt.aml" selected). After a reboot, the battery life and sleep issues were resolved.

I really think that a regen of the ddsdt.aml file is necessary and should be added to the 10.5.7 upgrade instructions.
  (#4) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 11:48 PM

I just ran dell efi 1.2 a5 again and while it said "This machine does not appear to be a dell mini 9, would you like to continue" it did work and fixed both the battery and trackpad issue. Now if the "fix bluetooth" selection would work i'd be golden.

Thank for the tips.
  (#5) Old
Default 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ridave View Post
Now if the "fix bluetooth" selection would work i'd be golden.
There's a fix for Dell's internal Bluetooth module, though it requires command-line experience. It might get included in future DellEFIs. It allows you to switch BT on and off in the menu as on a normal Mac. The details are in the thread.

Note that I had the bluetooth-stuck-on problem, not stuck-off. While this should probably still work, it might behave differently if you have a different problem. Oh, and it's fine on 10.5.6 and 10.5.7 . Hope it helps...

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun
Dell Mini 9 2GB RAM | 32GB STEC SSD | 16GB SDHC | Bluetooth (fixed) | 1.3Mpix cam (with iGlasses)
BIOS A05 | Legacy USB off | OS X 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2b5 | UK keymap (fixed) | Meklort's trackpad | DropBox & .Mac

« Connect to TV | SSD not recognized by Leopard for Installation »