General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Possible to prevent USB drive from unmounting in sleep? - 05-17-2009, 08:57 PM

Apparently, the Hackintosh turns off or improperly unmounts connected USB drives when the machine goes to sleep. recently discussed how to automatically make the Hackintosh properly eject/unmount the drive before the machine falls asleep, but I'd like to know if there's a way to prevent the improper dismounting from occurring in the first place. I may or may not remember to disconnect my Time Machine backup, and have had the "uh-oh, this was improperly unmounted and you may have damaged the drive" error occur a few times, and while no observable damage has occurred, I'd much prefer to avoid any chance of damaging the data.

So, anyway to keep the drive mounted through sleep?

Also, would like to add a big thank you to this amazing community. In the last week, I've Hackintoshed the Vostro A90 to 10.5.6, successfully upgraded to 10.5.7, installed the touchpad drivers, turned off bluetooth in the BIOS to avoid sleep hang, and installed the revised keyboard file so that the semi-colon and apostrophe keys switch, all based on existing posts on this forum. Thank you!
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 05-17-2009, 09:38 PM

Let's see…

1) See the thread on the PCI-e SDHC card reader for a shell script I wrote that will go through and close any open apps that have files open on the SDHC card in that PCIe SDHC card reader then eject the drive. Just change the line that determines the name of the Volume. You would change it to something like:
Vol="/Volumes/My Time Machine Drive Name"
instead of the Vol=`df |…` line.

I tried to make the script be well behaved and it will quite happily do nothing quietly if the Volume isn't mounted when sleep occurs.

2) Short answer NO. The hardware of the mini is designed to turn off the USB ports when it sleeps. Although I'm not sure how you could expect to wake from sleep with USB activity with that happening (which is a setting in the BIOS). Perhaps the data lines are kept active and only the power lines are disabled when sleeping, dunno. But its not fixable because its part of the basic design.
  (#3) Old
Default 11-29-2009, 07:10 PM

Is this the thread you are talking about?

SDHC mini PCIe adapter - Would it work?!
  (#4) Old
Expert Member
Default 11-29-2009, 09:47 PM

yes my .sig should even have a link to that thread. Not sure why it didn't show up in the post.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« problem completing the xar of OSInstall.mpkg | Mini9, Firefox, Heat & Battery life »