General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Setup a dualboot: OSX - Windows 7 - 05-17-2009, 07:42 PM

I would like to set up a dual boot with windows 7 on my Dell Mini 9 with Mac OS X. The SSD is already formatted as GUID and I don't want to reinstall from the beginning. Is possible to make a dualboot without lose the head?

Thanks for the answers!

Dell Mini 9 Black with Bluetooth and Webcam - 32GB Super Talent - 2GB RAM
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Default 05-17-2009, 08:08 PM

If you already have OS X on it, take an image of it. Install Windows 7 as shown in some of the guides on here (you use W7 to configure the partitions), then restore the image on the designated OS X partition rather than installing. Not terribly difficult, but it is time consuming, and avoids a reinstall of OS X.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old
Default 05-17-2009, 08:26 PM

The way I did it -> OSX first, Win7 second, with EASYBCD to manage the boot process.
It was pretty straight forward. Once/if you have OSX already installed, I would:

1. use OSX to create a new partition (FAT) - should be >10Gb (OSX DiskUtility was more user-friendly for me; couldn't get Windows to figure out what a GUID is ... dumb)
2. then install Win7 and let it erase the new partition, reformat with NTFS and then install itself
3. (optional): find EasyBCD 2.0 beta on the web and use it to manage the dual-boot
(NOTE: if not using EasyBCD, you can just use Darwin, but I don't find it as "pretty").

Read this:

Anyway, this worked for me .... but I cannot guarentee, given differing opinions and hardware/software setups, that this will work for you. Just be careful not to screw up your original partition with OSX on it. Duh!!

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features

dualboot, osx, windows 7

« Turn off internal display while external is connected | Anyone try MAC OS insall using exernal DVD method? »