General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Unhappy Installing OS X on a New Vostro a90 - 05-15-2009, 09:08 PM

I am attempting to install OS X 10.5.6 on a 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD BIOS rev A03 I just received the other day.

It is currently running Ubuntu.

I have one USB drive with the DellMiniBoot123v8.02b1.iso exploded and copied onto it along with running the syslunix process on it.

The Vostro boots as advertised off of it. I enter enter 81, it displays hd(1,1) OSX. The USB drive is a 16GB Kensington DataTraveler.

I press enter to start the installation process. It shows Darwin/86 loading and I see the Apple logo screen and then a screen pops saying "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." in English and several other languages".

I've even tried to reboot, but of course it just takes me into the same loop.

I'm new at this and could be doing something stupid that's easy to remedy. At least that's my hope I've read and re-read the instructions and I don't find anything I've done incorrectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-15-2009, 09:17 PM

I found this to be on target. I've done two installs on mini 9 with this.

Installing Mac OS X on a Dell Mini 9 –Â*the easy way (Updated 3x) | The Apple Core |
  (#3) Old
Default 05-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Please don't use the type II method, its now outdated and unsupported. I suspect your problem may be your copy of 10.5.6...

I presume you have been following the instructions on here: to the letter?? If so it should work nay problems.

If it's your disc then you could try temporarily downloading a genuine full retail copy just to check before purchasing it from Apple.

Trust me, I'm a Doctor!

Alpine White Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.7 | 16Gb Stock SSD | 2Gb RAM | BT | 1.3 Mp Webcam

Will install OS X for beers!

Dropbox Invite
  (#4) Old
Default 05-15-2009, 11:24 PM

What's wrong with the Type 11 method? It links to the same DellMiniBoot123 ISO that the DellEFI thread links to (at least for OSX 10.5.5 & below Installer DVDs).
  (#5) Old
Default 05-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the quick response, but I still stall out on a screen that want's me to restart the system. If I do that it goes in the same loop I described above.

Any thoughts why the OS X disk would ask for a reboot like that?
  (#6) Old
Default 05-15-2009, 11:37 PM

Dr_Death (Stephen)

Since I'm using 10.5.6, I used the newer MiniBoot. In fact when trying the old one it would boot to a screen with the Apple logo and just sit there (suspected it was hung as there was no drive activity on the DVD)

How do I go about downloading a "temporary" copy of OS X?

« 10.5.7: Improved battery life? | Can anyone help? or add an idea? »