General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default DellEFI in VMware - 05-12-2009, 05:30 PM

I'm trying to install my retail copy of OS X in VMware since I don't want to use torrented copies of the software.

Will DellEFI work with VMWare the same way that it works with the Mini 9?

On VMWare, it seems to boot into the portion where I need to enter 80, 81, etc but it doesn't continue further than that. It just returns to the boot prompt after I enter 80, 81, etc.

I tried using the DVD drive and/or a USB drive with the OS X install files, but I can't seem to get the install moving.

Any idea how to discover what the hex code is for either the DVD or the USB under VMWare?
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default 05-13-2009, 06:09 PM

I believe 9f is the DVD identifier. If you're using USB, make sure you connect the device to the VM before booting, of course.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that VMware will work with OS X because it's not 100% compatible with the full x86 instruction set and it tends to have a lot of hacks to get particular OSes to run quickly and properly. OS/2, for example, is notoriously hard to virtualize. If you can't get it working, you might want to try out a full x86 emulator like QEMU or Bochs. They're slow, but they tend to be able to run any OS.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera

« Questions about Reinstalling Mac OS X | Safe boot into Setup Assistant creates non-admin user »