General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to BeyondtheTech Send a message via MSN to BeyondtheTech Send a message via Yahoo to BeyondtheTech
Default Booting / rebooting freezes with SD card in slot - 05-12-2009, 04:21 PM

I don't know if I did a good enough search on this subject, but I thought I'd help out by telling my experiences I've had over the last couple of days...

I had a Transcend 2GB microSD card with its SD adapter laying around, so I figured I'd just leave it in the SD slot on my Mini 9 whenever I need to move some files around.

I don't usually restart OS X my Mini 9 often, but when I started to, I realized it never did it properly. It would hang at a black screen, to which I would have to power-cycle the unit.

When I removed the microSD card and SD adapter, it would reboot just fine. Is there a way to force unmount the device so that I wouldn't have to physically remove it before electing to restart OS X?

Also, there's been an instance or two when I would remove only the microSD card to complete a data transfer to another computer, and leave the SD adapter in the slot. When I performed a normal bootup, the machine would freeze at the light-blue screen (right after the Apple logo on white background disappears). I thought I mucked up my OS X install, but after removing the SD adapter in the slot, it was booting fine. I suppose it was trying to mount something that wasn't there. I figure now that any extra USB devices attached to the Mini 9 during startup or reboot could cause issues - and this would include the card reader, since it is running off an integrated, internal USB connection.

So, all in all, I still have my original Mini 9 OS X setup working great, but these little nuances had me pulling my hairs out for a few days. If anyone is having/had the same issues, I hope my little blurb helped resolving it, and if anyone can work a solution to make USB devices either a little more friendly or a little less troublesome for OS X, that would be awesome.

Black Mini 9 2GB 64GB BT 2.1 1.3MP 802.11g XP SP3 OSX 10.5.7 DellEFI 1.1 MBR A05
Read my guide on How to Dual-boot OS X and Windows from the DellEFI Method!
  (#2) Old
Default 05-12-2009, 10:23 PM

I wonder what causes the locks as my Mini 9 boots fine on XP, Win7, and OSX but freezes on GParted if I have my 16GB RiData SDHC card in the slot.

« Gotta ask... GMA500 n OS X | Dell Mini 10v Cannot Be Upgraded »