General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Odd problem - help needed - 05-12-2009, 12:41 AM

I recently did a fresh install on my Dell Mini9.
Everything works perfectly until...

I restart the machine and get the following error message...

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Coproration

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.08 (080408)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found

I can't figure out why this happens. I had restarted the machine several times without incident. It happened last night and I took out the RunCore, reran the DELL EFI while booted to it on my MacBook, reinstalled the RunCore in the Mini9 and then reran DELL EFI. Then, no problems for several reboots. Came back hours later and this.

The only thing I can think of is that I did a Time Machine backup before each of these failures. Although, I can't see how backing up to Time Machine could corrupt the system.

Any ideas?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Odd problem - help needed - 05-12-2009, 03:25 AM

Thanks for no help. (Seriously, I've noticed this board getting less helpful than it used to be. My last few requests for assistance have resulted in almost no replies. I hope this improves as this was part of what makes this forum so great. Anyway...)

I had been running DELLEFI 1.1
I decided since it wasn't working anyways I might as well try out DELLEFI 1.2a5
I ran that and everything seems to be working now (although it did before too).
If it stops working I'll repost. Otherwise, that seems to be the solution.

(#3) Old
Default Re: Odd problem - help needed - 05-12-2009, 04:37 AM

Ok, first things first: you post a thread at 8:41 and then a response at 11:25, allowing only 2.5 hours for someone to respond. Not everyone is online all the time.

Next, for your problem: your boot is not set on your main drive, and seems it is looking for a networked drive to boot from. If you can boot into OS X, go into System Properties and check that your Startup disk is set to your SSD and not to a Networked drive. Also, rerun DellEFI and re-install the dsdt (remove, reinstall). Also check to see if the Boot Maker is also installed (it only installs to the booting drive). And although it may seem obvious, check the bios to make sure your boot order is also set correctly to the SSD.

Keep us updated. We're here to help (just give us time to respond.)
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Odd problem - help needed - 05-12-2009, 05:43 AM

First off, thank you for the response.
You're right. I didn't give it much time. I was venting frustration more about prior posts/issues than this current lack of response.

I did what you said. I set the startup disc in OSX System Preferences (although when I set it I get an odd chime, like a "clunk"). It noted that I have selected the SSD as the system startup disc. I closed that out and then went back in. When I go back into System Preferences I see the SSD in the first position but it does not note it as the startup disk in writing (as it did when I first selected it). I checked on my MacBook and when I go back into System Preferences it notes below the white pane in the window that I have selected MacOSX 10.5.6 on a certain drive as my startup disc. Make sense? Anyway, I did select it on the Mini9 and it stays in the first position.

Also, I reran the DELLEFI (1.2a5) and killed the dsdt file. Rebooted and then ran DELLEFI again and recreated the dsdt file.

As for checking the boot maker, how do I do that? On the SSD I see there is a file called "boot" and has a picture of a black folder I think. If that's what I'm looking for, then it is there.

I have restarted several times and it all seems good. I thank you again for your response and suggestions.

I'll post back with any further issues.

« usb sticks and Intel Mac | Sleep hang my machine »