General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#11) Old
Default Re: About to buy retail copy of OSX 10.56 Ive got some questions - 05-12-2009, 04:23 AM

Thanks to all of you guys this will be useful when it eventually comes....! 1 more question does any one know if the usb dvd drive that is advertised on will be compatible with installing the osx dvd? if not let me know some that do. thanks

Mr. Smith
  (#12) Old
Default 05-12-2009, 01:33 PM

I purchased the slim samsung dvd from newegg, worked like a charm. Bonus, USB-powered only, NO power brick needed.
  (#13) Old
Cool My Samsung DVD drive did not work - 05-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by caseybea View Post
I purchased the slim samsung dvd from newegg, worked like a charm. Bonus, USB-powered only, NO power brick needed.
It did not work for the install of Mac OS X, but it is recognized for other things like movies, etc. But, for some reason, it does not work after OS X is installed to then install applications like Microsloth Office. Happily, though, my Hackintosh thinks it is a MacBook Air, and therefore it can use (share by air) the CD/DVD drive on my iMac. So, I can install software that way. Or, I can just drag it across by remote mounting one computer's drive on the other computer. BUT...this is all AFTER hacking the Mini to Macx OS X.

Oh, yes, I also have an external USB/FW Pioneer drive that I could hook up, but, alas, that one, too, was not recognized for the conversion, though it is for other things.
  (#14) Old
Talking Cheap DVD option - 05-12-2009, 10:01 PM

OK, so I have posted this before in other threads, but the XBOX 360 HDDVD add on drive is a cheap, bootable, OS X recognized drive. At around $38 US, I really can't complain about it. Yes, it is much more bulky than the new slim drives, and it is read only, but it worked perfectly for my Leopard install, and that is all I really care about. I won't be lugging it around with me.

« Some help with my OSX usb drive (Sandisk Cruzer) | Gotta ask... GMA500 n OS X »