General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default run out of battery when suspended = cannot start up - 05-11-2009, 07:49 AM

Has anyone run into an issue with their mini hackintosh where

- You leave a machine in suspend
- It runs out of battery
- It won't turn on again when you press the power button
- Fix: you have to manually pop the battery out insert it again. Whereupon it will then boot as normal.

I am using DellEFI 1.1 installed using the Type11 bootloader method
  (#2) Old
Default Re: run out of battery when suspended = cannot start up - 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM

In my experience, just leave it plugged into the mains for a bit to charge up again, then restart and it's fine. However, it won't start for a good five to ten minutes into the charge cycle if it's completely flat.

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun
Dell Mini 9 2GB RAM | 32GB STEC SSD | 16GB SDHC | Bluetooth (fixed) | 1.3Mpix cam (with iGlasses)
BIOS A05 | Legacy USB off | OS X 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2b5 | UK keymap (fixed) | Meklort's trackpad | DropBox & .Mac
  (#3) Old
Default 05-12-2009, 01:13 PM

Yes you might be right. However I find that if I reseat the battery I can boot immediately. Strange as once you have the power plugged in it should be OK to power on, regardless of battery state. Oh well...
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default 05-13-2009, 05:53 PM

An empty Li-Ion battery pulls a lot of current at the beginning it its charge cycle. My guess is that the AC adapter isn't rated for putting out full charge current and powering the system at the same time. Dell may have added some BIOS code to remember the low battery condition and prevent the system from booting until the charging current drops below a certain level.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera
  (#5) Old
Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default 05-14-2009, 02:16 AM

If that were the case, pulling the battery out and reinstalling it wouldn't solve the problem. Nah, just a bios glitch.. There have been plenty regarding the charging system in the Mini9.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED

« Question for those of you with 10.5.7.. | Possible to install on SD Card? »