General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Screen Rotation - 05-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Greetings from the UK

Just killing time waiting for my 2gb ram, 16gb SSD Dell mini 9 to be delivered, seems to be taking an age. I am hoping It will be delivered sometime next week, finger crossed. I think I have spent the last 2 weeks on this forum, reading and learning about the OS X experience on this netbook. I was wondering how people cope with the small form factor of the mini 9 I am moving away from a Acer 17" laptop to this much smaller device and I am imagining my normal couch position with the acer isn't going to cut it too well with the mini i.e laptop on my lap :-) Are people finding they support the mini up off their laps and use the other hand to operate the track pad??
I am hoping to use the mini 9 netbook to read ebooks on the "well worn" couch :-) my preferred ebook reader is Stanza. I got to wondering if anyone as been able to rotate their screens using preferences/display/rotate ? I am hoping that functionality is available on the mini 9 OS X so I can rotate the screen 90 degrees and hold the dell like a real book using my right hand to flip pages, seems to make more sense to have the device in portrait mode while reading ebooks.

Would appreciate it if someone could try the screen rotate option and let me know if it works well without any screen glitching

Many thanks

(#2) Old
Default Re: Screen Rotation - 05-10-2009, 02:51 PM

Just tried on my Mini, but the 'Rotate' option is not displayed.
I've actually had some trouble finding a decent ebook reader for OSX. My current best solution is to use Fluid to browse to the html version, and Megazoomer to get rid of the menubar, etc. It's the only way I've found to get a nice fullscreen text view.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Screen Rotation - 05-10-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks for checking screen rotation for me.
There go my ebook reader plans, it seems screen rotation isn't supported :-)

Makes me think quartz extreme isn't working on the dell mini.
can I get a few more kind people to check out screen rotation

about this mac/more info/graphics displays/rotation
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Screen Rotation - 05-10-2009, 07:19 PM

this is what i get:

ntel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x27ae
Revision ID: 0x0003
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

my notebook: dell inspiron 11z - 11.6" display | intel core i3 330um | 6gb ddr3 ram | 80gb Intel ssd | Linux Mint 12 OS - Cinnamon 1.4 [Virtual Machine - WinXP SP3]
  (#5) Old
Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: Screen Rotation - 05-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a invite? message me.
  (#6) Old
Angry Re: Screen Rotation - 05-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Just tried the two apps that normally allow rotation, both say that changing orientation is 'not supported':I think this is a limitation of Leopard and Apple's driver for the Mini GMA 950 graphics chip. Rotation was not supported on the internal screen of the previous generation Macbook which used the same graphics hardware - it is capable of rotation: you can change orientation in Windows when running via Boot Camp.

Axiotron, the makers of the ModBook 'mactablet', have a statement from Apple specifically limiting internal screens from being rotated. Axiotron were working on a modified driver for the GMA 950-equipped ModBook, which we could have 'borrowed' , but didn't manage it - the latest model has the NVIDIA chip from the Al-Macbook.

As for the Mini, see if rotation is support on an external display - Leopard should allow this.

Originally Posted by meklort
Display Twister seems to work by itself, combined with a custom 600x1024 resolution using SwitchResX you might be able to get your mini9-ebook-reader working!

mini 9 | osx 10.5.8 | 2gb ram | 16gb runcore ssd | wifi | bt | wwan | 0.3mp webcam | NBI 8.3(RC4) |
  (#7) Old
Default Re: Screen Rotation - 05-11-2009, 02:34 AM

How about simply using an ebook reader app that supports rotating it's own display only ?

FBReader is an ebook reader that is open source and runs on many platforms.
Here is a link to the OS X compiled version....

(#8) Old
Default Re: Screen Rotation - 05-11-2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by rakmini
Axiotron, the makers of the ModBook 'mactablet', have a statement from Apple specifically limiting internal screens from being rotated.
That's a very curious design decision, but I can confirm it; my Macbook (GMA X3100) doesn't allow screen rotation (at least on the internal LCD), but my Mac mini (GMA 950) does.
  (#9) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Switch res x seems to work on my dell mini 10.
Buggy but seems to work

Mini 10v, OSX 10.5.8, Bluetooth
  (#10) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Wm.Mays
Smile RE: Screen Rotation.... - 11-22-2009, 04:10 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but here's link for ReadRight by Twilight Edge Software. Its a Mac screen rotation program for PDF files only, and its free.

Twilight Edge Software - Read Right for Mac OS X

MINI 9: Jade Green, RunCore 64GB SSD, Hyper-X 2GB RAM, Dell 5530 WWAN Card, Dell 1505 WiFi Card, Bluetooth 2.1, 1.3MP Webcam, Leopard 10.5.8 NBI 8.0.3 Final, BIOS A05

« MAC OSX DVD to USB in Windows | Copying the OSX disc. »