General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Apps no longer work... please help! - 05-09-2009, 02:50 AM

I have been OS X on my Dell mini for about a month (purchased preinstalled from ebay) with no problems. Tonight I turn on the machine and quickly found that Safari will no longer function. It will open but immediately hangs and exits followed by the "quit unexpectedly" error message. I quickly tried some other apps and it appears as though all Apple apps that connect to the internet are crashing. iCal works for example but iTunes, Dashboard, software update and Safari will not. Firefox does work. I have installed not other apps and made no recent changes. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am definitely worried about my entire set up and thank anyone for any suggestions.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Apps no longer work... please help! - 05-09-2009, 04:33 AM

Open Disk Utilities & Repair permissions on the SSD.
That might fix the problem but if not, it wont hurt anything to do so.
If you haven't done this before it will probably take a long time, so be patient.

Dell mini 9, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OS X (10.6.7)
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Apps no longer work... please help! - 05-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that twice today and still no luck. Each time it returned quite a few issues but repair was completed each time. Can anyone recommend anything else? Has anyone else ever gotten this issue. There seem to be issues with the Apple apps and the internet but even when I disconnect from the network the apps still crash. Thanks.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Apps no longer work... please help! - 05-09-2009, 04:39 PM

One thing that's often helpful in debugging issues like this is to set up a second user account. When you run into an issue like this try switching to the second account and see if you still have the problems. If you don't then the issue is most likely in some preference file (plist) in your user library. If the problem still persists with the second account then the issue is more severe. Since you mention that it seems to effect all apps that use the internet, I would suspect that it may be an issue with the network files. I am not sure if there's any way to fix this other than to reinstall. Defintely try a second user first though.
  (#5) Old
Default 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM

I have the exact same thing... New useraccount wont work, since I cannot open system prefs anymore. Disk Util wont run either.

« Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.6.2 to developers with dozens of fixes | Sound in and out »