General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Is anyone using FileVault? - 05-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Just curious if there are any issues/quirks when using FileVault on a Mini 9. I plan on keeping a backup of my PDFs of bank statements / insurance / other sensitive documents.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Is anyone using FileVault? - 05-09-2009, 05:41 AM

Honestly I would not use FileVault. Not because it's on a Mini but because of the headache it can cause. I have seen more people loose data because they forget a password or the system crashes and that data can not be recovered with the rest because it's encrypted. If you are really concerned about bank statements and such, I recommend a flash drive or something that can be locked up when not in use instead of a portable system. Or just using a desktop with a shared folder that you could access the data over your network for work on the mini.

Dell Mini 9 / 2gb Ram / Stec 64gb SSD / 10.6.1 / Everything works except mic input
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Is anyone using FileVault? - 05-11-2009, 03:02 AM

You can make an encrypted DMG and copy your files into it.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Is anyone using FileVault? - 05-11-2009, 05:05 AM

I turned FileVault on because i travel with my mini. I keep my files on a remote server and SSH. FileVault lets me not worry about saving passwords in browsers etc. Protecting my data is much more important than the hardware or even the OS install - both easily replaced.

I have had no problem with performance. In fact, it reclaims space (on logout) much faster than my MacBook. It tool a while to encrypt when I first turned it on, but has been working just fine since.

I don't keep a lot of data on my mini, but do sync gmail via IMAP in Mail. If you store large files in your home directory, you might see slowness.

Provided you can remember your password, I think its the way to go.

« Boot From USB Worked Once | Boot drive EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04 & OSX not recognised »