General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Boot drive EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04 & OSX not recognised - 05-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Hello all
I am a noob to hackintosh and all this mini stuff. Have tried the steps outlined in a number of guides, and have a couple of issues / questions:

My hardware is - 1 * small USB and 1 * 16GB Sandisk Cruzer USB

1. On my boot disk
DellEFI 1.1 - unzipped and copied contents to root (with subdirs)
DellMiniBoot v8.02b1 - unzipped and copied contents to root (with subdirs)
syslinux -ma h:
and copied over mobilebroadband and aboutthismac

When I boot it I get the initrd and all dots, then it comes up with about 10 of these errors:
EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04
Block 8844999: Sectors 64

I have rebuilt the drive several times, and also tried a different USB stick but still the same error.

1. On my OSX drive
Also a point of clarification, and please dont laugh !
Do I need to copy the dmg file to the other USB or expand it to be the actual folder structure ?
I have tried both but neither are recognised on the bootloader. (tylping in 81,82 etc finds nothing)
I have taken an image of the OSX retail disk, and saved it to my PC using transmac. I then uncompressed it using transmac again and then copied it over to the large USB. I then added the OSXDVD.zip contents to the root of the drive.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

tinners
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Boot drive EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04 & OSX not recognised - 05-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Tinners,

Let me begin by stating that I am by NO means the least bit knowledgable about this stuff but I had a similar error when I did my inistall via and external DVD drive. I know that you are doing the 2 USB install making your 10.5 disk with transmac.

What version of Leopard are you using (the version of your retail disc)? Make sure that you are using the correct version of the installer. I am not sure but the MiniBoot 8.02b1 for 10.5.6 If you have a different version of the Leopard disc, make sure you use 8.01 version of MiniBoot.

As I said, I had a similar error with the external DVD drive and what apparently caused the EBOS Read Error was that it wasn't seeing the DVD drive. Maybe your Mini is not seeing the 16gb OSX thumb drive. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in while the error messages are repeating. If this doesn't help, I would remake the 16gb OS image. Did you right click on the 16gb drive in transmac and then click "Format with disc image". This should, I think, put an ISO image of the OS onto the thumb drive and not a dmg file. After making the drive in transmac, click on it and see if you have a bunch of folders in the right hand window of transmac. At least that should assure you that you sucessfully made a copy of the OS to the thumb drive. I tried using a dmg image with the OSXDVD files but coouldn't get that method to work.

Don't be discouraged! I stumbled throuogh and got lucky with the external DVD install while waiting for my 16gb flash drive to come in the mail....it arrived 2 days later....now I have a large thumb drive for more storage.

If all else fails, start over. Make a new boot USB drive and OS drive. There are lots and lots of messages to look through but believe me you are NOT the only one who has stumbled. There are a number of very, very bright and sharing people on this forum and without their time and efforts, I would never have been able to do this. (I did do a lot of reading in the OSX discussion forum....some 50-70 pages of messages.....but you will rapidly figure out who the gurus are)

Len
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Boot drive EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04 & OSX not recognised - 05-08-2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the encouragement
The older bootloader (pre 802) recognises my 10.5.6 OK and will start the installer but the image is too big for the SSD drive by 340Mb
With the same 16Gb image the 8.02b1 thingy gives the ebios errors

tinners
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Boot drive EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04 & OSX not recognised - 05-08-2009, 11:25 PM

OK just to say I got mine to complete OK using this guide
http://www.squidoo.com/dellmini9_osX

I booted into the installer and used the terminal from there
taking care at step 25
a) the downloaded file should be renamed to OSInstall.mpkg (notice capitalisation) then copied to the root of the OSX usb
b) make a backup of the original file or you may render your USB useless if anything doesnt work.
using
cp "/Volumes/<Volume Name identified in step 12>/System/Installation/Packages"/OSInstall.mpkg "/Volumes/<Volume Name identified in step 12>/System/Installation/Packages"/OSInstall.mpkgbak
(again notice corrected caps and also correct place for ""s)
c) Copy the downloaded one into the right place
cp OSInstall.mpkg "/Volumes/<Volume Name identified in step 12>/System/Installation/Packages"

You then need to back out of the installer to the start and it will do the "prepare" bit and then you should be able to deselect items in the default install option.

tinners
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Boot drive EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04 & OSX not recognised - 05-09-2009, 12:11 AM

Grey screen, mouse pointer, no working install then :|

Reinstalling now, just deselected what I think is the AdditionalSpeechVoices 697Mb package only.

see http://mydellmini.com/forum/how-to-inst ... t3925.html
Part H: Help for 8 GB SSD Problems
AdditionalSpeechVoices - Voices you will never use, REMOVE THIS.

tinners
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Boot drive EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04 & OSX not recognised - 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track. I guess you are trying to load OSX onto an 8Gb SSD. Apparently 10.5.6 is a bit larger than the earlier versions 10.5.0-10.5.4 and requires a few more hoops to jump through to get it to load. That's why I decided to put a larger SSD in mine. Most of my problems were with the image not fitting on my 8Gb USB stick......formatted size was 7.4 Gb....about 100 Mb or so too small.

I did not try the install guide for putting OS X onto the 8Gb SSD so I have no other suggestions but as I said in my first response, there are a number of brilliant people on this site who can probably help you out. If you continue to have problems, I would suggest posting a new topic with a question about your current problem. There are a number of topics already about the gray screen and such. You may want to do a search of the site and see if any of those have already answered your questions.

Good Luck....keep at it, it really does work!

Len
  (#7) Old

Lightbulb Re: Boot drive EBIOS Read Error: Error 0x04 & OSX not recognised - 05-11-2009, 08:08 AM

Through a combination of luck, plus using an old Mini Boot rather than the new one I got it installed Performance great, installed an 8Gb SSD card for apps and now all is well.

To clarify, I used Transmac to expand the 10.5.6 DVD to folders on my USB. No need to use OSXDVD.zip file, but did need to copy over the OSInstall.mpkg for use to slim down the install.(see http://www.squidoo.com/dellmini9_osX + my post above)

I then booted using the older miniboot, which saw my 2nd OSX DVD usb straight away and allowed me to install. Once in the installer I copied over the OSInstall.mpkg whbich meant I could then deselect only ONE core package (the one for additional voices (see post above) which allowed the install to fit on the 8Gb SSD.

Once installed I used DellEFI 1.1 to make it boot correctly and do all the other magic needed.

tinners

« Is anyone using FileVault? | Nothing in Network Folder No local dns resolution »