General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini retail installation help - 05-06-2009, 04:29 AM

Hi, I have been attempting to get a retail install working on my Dell Mini 9 with no luck. I have tried the guide
here (Gizmodo):

here (DellEFI method):

and here (Boot132 method):

and none have worked.

The problem that I am having is that while loading the OS X installation DVD (or a restored DVD image on the usb stick/usb hard drive from one of the posts above) I get the following error (from verbose mode, -v):

GFX0: family specific matching fails

During a normal installation mode, I see the grey boot screen with apple logo along with the little spinning thing, which spins for a few minutes and then stops. I have let it sits for a while (1 hr +) with the hope that it just happens to be an extremely slow installation.

I have re-ripped the retail install disk several times on to various media and I have used the retail DVD itself (actually I have tried several retail DVDs) and I get the same error (and subsequent freeze) each time. I have searched for a solution to this issue and it appears that no-one else has come across this problem. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Is there an installation method such as installing the OS to the Mini's hard drive using a real Mac (I have several that I can use if this is the case)?

I have had success installing OS X onto a custom AMD box using iDeneb, but iTunes was useless (along with the rest of iLife), which is no good for my massive AppleTV library, and I had next to no networking features. Not to mention that updating from Apple bricks the install. I could go this route if I must, but I would rather do a retail install if possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Dell Mini retail installation help - 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM

[SOLVED}: I found the solution, my Mini was the Dell Mini 10, which is an uber piece of junk. The graphics chip is the Intel GMA 500 and is incompatible with nearly every OS out there except for XP. There are no linux or OS X drivers for it. So, I returned the 10 for a proper Dell Mini 9.

For anyone considering purchasing a Mini for hackintoshing, DO NOT get the 10 or 12, you can only get the 9 if you want it to work.

« dual-boot: how to combine windows xp and os x in 1 large ssd | So how about the Mini 10v??? »