General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default help - strip ppc - 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Im a newbie to MAC OSX but have completed the Leopard install on my new mini 9 ok.

I now want to slim my OS size down and have tried to install StripPPC. I have ran the .pkg 3 times and it runs and says it competed sucessfully but I cant find it in applications. A search doesnt locate it either !

Sorry to be dumb but what am I doing wrong ?

(#2) Old
Default Re: help - strip ppc - 05-04-2009, 02:06 PM

I would actually recommend a program called Monolingual. It can strip away PowerPC code, ARM code, as well as Intel 64 bit code, which you can't use because the mini 9's N270 processor is 32 bit only. You probably don't need to select to delete the ARM code, but you can save a lot of space deleting the others.

Monolingual also allows you to strip the localization information from each application. If you only use the computer in English, you can remove all the other languages from each application, and save a lot of space, also. I saved about 1.5 GB with just the language removal alone. Everything still works perfectly well, in English only, of course. If you also use your computer in several other languages, you can select to keep those languages as well as English.

A word of caution, though: Don't mess with the Keyboard input menu option in the middle, which allows you to delete foreign keyboard layouts to save even more space. If you want, delete everyone but the first option, which is apple keyboard input, or something like that. The others, like Tamil, Korean, etc. I never use. But don't delete the first, because your keyboard will stop working. That happened to me, and I had to get creative to use the computer without a keyboard and restore the bundle that had been deleted.

In all, I saved almost 2 GB of space. Very useful for the mini especially. One more thing: By default the program doesn't strip PPC binary from the /System directory. In the application's preferences, you can change this. I tried this, and nothing was messed up, as all the essential system binaries are universal, with both PPC and Intel code. However, if you do this, make sure you don't use any PPC only code, because this option will destroy Rosetta, which allows running PPC code on Intel processors.

If you have any PPC only programs, Monolingual is smart enough to avoid deleting them.

Red Mini 9 - 2 GB Mushkin RAM, 32 GB Super Talent, 1.3 MP Camera,
Snow Leopard 10.6

Inspiron E1505 1.6 Ghz Core Duo, 1 GB RAM, Intel GMA 950, 80 GB HDD, Leopard 10.5.8

Help me with Dropbox, please:
  (#3) Old
Default Re: help - strip ppc - 05-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks very much for the detailed advice, much appreciated - downloading monolingual now !

I also note on the forums that Xslimmer is recommended - will I need to get that ($12-95) as well as monolingual? - looks like that does a slightly differnet job by streamlining the actual universal binaries themselves down to just intel code ?
  (#4) Old
Default Re: help - strip ppc - 05-05-2009, 01:51 AM

my keyboard stopped working also

couldn't figure out what did it
thought it was the 16gb sdhc

makes more sense that it was monolingual
ended up reinstalling

could you let me know what "creative steps" you used to fix it?
just in case it happens again

thanks very much

« Laptop monitor turns off when idle | Keyboard »