General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default How to get the Mac boot chime? - 05-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Now there is this way: add-the-apple-startup-chime%C7%83-t5430.html
which I am about to try here in a few minutes, however, is there any emulated or any way this can be possible to have a kext or something force load first so you get that chime when it boots into OSX?
Obviously we can't do it during the BIOS because.. well unless you want to flash etc. but even then I'm pretty sure that isn't possible nor would anyone want to really attempt that.

So is anyone working on anything like this or .. any news?
I am having a hard time finding anything else besides that one thread on this.

-Dell Mini 9 - Refurb $269: Obsidian Black, 32GB STEC SSD, 8GB Kingston SDHC (left from previous owner), 2GB 667Mhz RAM, 1.3MP Camera, Bluetooth, Mac OSX 10.5.7
-Dell e1705 - New $1055: ATi X1400 OC/ed 175% faster, XPS 1710 Heatsinks, XPS 1710 Body
e1705 is old, it needs not to be upgraded, but rather be replaced.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default Re: How to get the Mac boot chime? - 05-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Even if you do "hack it to have the chime" it will be nothing like a real Mac... which chimes right on boot.

It would be really stupid, in my opinion, to do this because the boot process would go like this :

Possible chime if you get it all working

It would be awkward and have no point.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old
Default Re: How to get the Mac boot chime? - 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM

I have it play the chime just as the desktop boots. No, it's not like my real Macs, but on the other hand I've come to like it... It lets me know when boot-up has finished. I'll push the power button, get up for a cola, and then when the computer's ready a minute later it tells me with a big happy Mac chime. Frankly, I derive more useful meaning from that than from the usual stock way.

(#4) Old
Default Re: How to get the Mac boot chime? - 05-01-2009, 11:52 PM

I have it play too when the boot is complete. Better late than never. The chime is part of the Mac experience!

Bud's MacBook Mini:
White Dell Mini 9, 2 GB Ram, 64Gig Runcore SSD,1505 "N" WiFi card, 1.3 MP webcam, running OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3

« Can't seem to turn internal BT on and off? | mini9/GMA950 Screen Flicker when scrolling text in Terminal/ »