General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Lockup during boot with SDHC card in - 05-01-2009, 02:31 PM

Hi Guys,

I just hackintoshed my Mini 9 last night with a new Runcore drive. Install went flawlessly and i've had pretty much no issues playing around and getting some of my basic web surfing stuff like Firefox and TweetDeck installed.

I did notice something strange that happened once last night and once just a minute ago though. Last night I rebooted for something (I think the EFI update) and during the reboot the laptop just sat at the white screen with the gray Apple logo. It sat there for a good 15 minutes or so before I just decided to force a shutdown by holding the power button. When it shut down I realized the SDHC card was in, and I had some initial issues formatting that card for Mac so I decided to pop it out and try again. Booted up fine. Later that night I put the SDHC card back in, and had a few successful reboots for various installations.

Just now I did a bunch of OS software updates that required a reboot, with the SDHC card in I rebooted and it sat on the same screen again. Forced a reboot with the power button, popped the SDHC card out and it booted up fine.

So I can't really replicate the issue consistently with the SDHC card in, so I can't truly prove it is the card screwing with the boot up, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced such an issue. I searched but all I got were people asking questions on how to boot FROM an SDHC card.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to lock the screen on OSX? Much like how you can using Windows+L for WinXP.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Lockup during boot with SDHC card in - 05-02-2009, 09:43 AM

After I'd say more than a dozen reboots since I've had m9, my machine has frozen on boot only once. And that occurred after I did two things: I turned on quiet boot in DelEFI and at the login screen, I chose to restart again rather than login (to admire the newer faster reboot process, which then resulted in the hang I mentioned --not very admirable)

I just received my sdhc and have rebooted a few times with no problems but I'll keep an eye out and update this post if I run into anything. I also formated my card as mac osx extended rather than leave it as fat.

To answer your second question about locking the computer, I use Expose to set up a screen saver hot corner. Then under Security settings, check "Require password to wake... from sleep or screensaver" Does the job quite nicely. Unfortunately unlike the other expose functions, screensaver can't be mapped to a function key however.

There are a few other options (the one I use is the most transparent as some other methods add icons to your menu bar, etc. But if you're interested, you can read about them here:
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Lockup during boot with SDHC card in - 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM

Same here, when I have a SDHC installed during boot it will not boot,like clockwork, every second time! The card is FAT formatted.

When nothing is installed, only occasionally I have the white apple logo non-boot problem. But it does not bother me much as it happens rarely.

« 6GB worth of space, gone! | Fix for Reboot Hang after Sleep (FIXED - EASY) »