General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Problem with System Preferences - 04-27-2009, 05:25 AM

Ok, I'll try again. Whenever I go into System Preferences, the first item I enter behaves fine. The second item I enter has the menu buttons, Select All, Minimize buttons, etc. are all grayed out. If I click in the general area where I know the buttons are, they appear again but certain areas are still grayed out.
This occurs for all subsequent items I try to enter.
I'm running all the current software including Leopard 10.5.6 and DellEFI 1.1.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Problem with System Preferences - 04-27-2009, 05:50 AM

I have the same problem too. But t

It occurred after I installed touchpad driver from Merklot, which incidentally make the total number of available item in system preference more that what it can show in one screen.

I think it's related to the fact that my preferences is now too crowded (not fitted to one screen). The scroll bar is not present when I first open the pref. After clicking one item and gone back out, the scroll bar is drawn, but now, every subsequence item I access, the buttons are wrongly drawn. Seem like a GUI bug.

I'm pretty sure it's related to the number of items in system pref. If I remove one item, the problem goes away...

Here are the screenshots
Attached Images
File Type: png before.png (195.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png after.png (220.8 KB, 20 views)

Dell mini 9 - OS X 10.6.2 NBI 0.8.3RC5
16Gb SSD, 2Gb RAM
1.3mp webcam
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Problem with System Preferences - 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Yep, I've had this problem as long as I can remember (I think I originally saw it under the Type11 method). And I think it is related to the extra row of pref panes. It could easily be a bug in System Prefs, like popophobia says. It's been around so long and I've not seen this happen in other application, that I don't think it can be a bug with anything to do with DellEFI, our drivers, etc (although never say never).

It stands to reason that we will encounter a few things like this, where our 600 pixel high screen throws up strange behaviour in a few applications. The usual thing we see is when a window is too tall for our screen and we can't click the buttons at the bottom. This seems to be a different behaviour but a similar sort of issue. It stands to reason if you're developing an OSX application and you are trying to make efficient use of your developers' time, then you will test stuff on existing Apple hardware. So you might never see this bug.

So, my feeling is that it is outside the control of the DellEFI team and is something which Apple would need to address.

Wonder what would happen if we raised it as a bug with Apple - or went to the local Genius Bar to sort it out :-)

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.8 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | BIOS A05 | 16GB STEC SSD
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Problem with System Preferences - 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM

Just to test your guys' theory, I moved my dock to the right and let the System Preferences window take up the screen. And it worked great. So for me, having the dock interfered with the window rendering. I suppose I'll have to keep my Other preferences to a minimum. Thanks for the info guys!

« OSX is Running using MAC CD/DVD method, DELLEFI1.2a5 | What dvd drive to use for installation? »