General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#21) Old
Thumbs down 05-20-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by TSDGuy View Post
Just got my A90 and so to compare it to my Mini 9 (which I no longer have so my comments will be from memory).

- Same shape and size. A90 is all black with silver power button.
- A90 Power brick is MUCH larger than the Mini 9. Not sure of the specs but it looks like the housing is bigger to accommodate non-US power outlets. Note the A90 DOESN'T have interchangeable plugs but there is room for larger plugs in manufacturing.
- Motherboard looks exactly the same
- Keyboard is exactly the same
- A90 trackpad has a slicker surface and looser mouse buttons
- A90 hand rest surface is slicker and feels like a difference finish.
- A90 screen tilts further back than the Mini 9. I'd guess it's another 20 degrees. It also looks like a different hinge mechanism (maybe more robust). However, my A90 has a webcam and my Mini 9 didn't so maybe that's the reason.
- A90 shipped with Rev 3 BIOS (which I understand is equal to the Mini 9 Rev 4)
- A90 makes rainbows appear before my eyes and the Mini 9 just sits there 8-)
don't know if I am going to be too happy with the LARGER power brick...

What happened to portability? can you provide a pic in comparison to the unit?
  (#22) Old
Default 05-20-2009, 07:18 AM

A touch different in that DellEFI prompted something along the lines of 'This isn't a Mini 9 - are you sure you'd like to apply?' I assume I wouldn't get that with a Mini 9? *grin*

10.5.7 here.
  (#23) Old
Smile Bluetooth inside? - 06-21-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
I know this topic is like beating a dead horse, but the A90 is a sharp little machine and would make a great little MacBook Mini. I love the sharp all-black styling and after slapping a Mac sticker on it and covering up the Dell logo under the screen, I am sure it would look fantastic.

[made the news on the MyDellMini blog and ZDNet]

I already know the answers to some of the questions I am going to pose, but I figured I would make a consolidated thread with some common questions about the A90 (since it is selling and shipping out in North America) :
  1. Does the A90 run OSX?
    Yes. This procedure is identical to loading OSX on the Mini 9s[/*:m:2qcoqwtm]
  2. What are the differences between Vostro A90 and Inspiron 910 (Mini 9)?
    The A90 is "business class" and reports show that is has a slightly sturdier build. The only other differences are design and pricing. The base model of the A90 is cheaper and the SSD and RAM cannot be customized when ordering.[/*:m:2qcoqwtm]
  3. Are the BIOS really interchangeable?
    Yes, see below [/*:m:2qcoqwtm]
  4. What would be the best BIOS to use?
    I would recommend using the A90 BIOS (A04) for the A90 and Mini 9 BIOS (A05) for Mini 9, although it does not really matter. The difference explained[/*:m:2qcoqwtm]
  5. I can only configure the A90 to have a 16Gb SSD and 1Gg of RAM. I want to expand this and am curious if this is possible.
    Yes, it is possible to purchase third party upgrades for the RAM and SSD. Like the Mini 9, the max supported RAM is 2Gb.[/*:m:2qcoqwtm]
  6. You say the hardware is the same, but I am confused. What is included in the base build?
    1.6Ghz Atom CPU, Intel GMA 950 graphics, 1Gb RAM, 16Gb SSD, BlueTooth, .3 MP Webcam[/*:m:2qcoqwtm]
  7. ... open for more questions once people ask them[/*:m:2qcoqwtm]

Feel free to ask other questions within this thread and I will add them to the OP so we can consolidate them. I am not sure about all of the answers... so please bear with me and help me out if I do not know!
Hi from France ,
Is the bluetooth integrated even in the base Ubuntu Vostro A90?
It's not very clear on Dell site...

« "Operating System not found" PLEASE HELP | create a Mac mini10v without already owning a Mac? »