General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Yippie and Thank You!!! - 04-23-2009, 01:33 PM

I am typing this on my Dell Mini 9 running the latest version of OSX!!!

What a treat it is going to be carrying a netbook around town. It will replace by 12 inch G4 powerbook, and is superior to that machine in plenty of ways -- especially weight.

Wanted to share my joy with the people here who made this possible. There is no way I could have done this without you and the Type11 install method from an external dvd drive. Thank you all very much!!! Plus I did it from a machine I got in Japan so the keyboard has Japanese as well as English on the keys.

Prices are quite good in Japan for these models. I got a white one on Tuesday and here is the price breakdown:

Machine ¥44,800 ($448)
External DVD burner ¥7800 ($78)

total cost ¥52,600 ($526) out the door. Plus the OSX disk at academic discount.

Machine loaded with 16gb SSD, 1 gb ram and XP. No linux choice here that I could find. I saw a huge stack of mini 9s in the store last week and considered a purchase, but in the end could not stand the idea of using Windows. Then I found this forum and saw that it was possible to load OSX. I could not stop thinking about the possibility and when I went back to get one they only had 4 left -- one in each color. I snapped it up and with two hours of having it in my studio I had XP erased.

I brought it to work with a nice "Made in Detroit" sticker covering the DELL circle on the outside and told my friends that I got a Fed Ex package from my friends in the auto industry who would be switching over to manufacturing computers instead of cars. Told them the mini was a prototype of their new product! Continued by saying that Dell would be making the parts, the machines would be assembled in Detroit for the Japanese Market, and that it ran the Mac OS. I had them going for quite a while as I demonstrated OSX for them! They were amazed when OSX booted! So was I.

Thank you again for this wonderful forum and brainpower!

« iWork 09 - Numbers screen fit issue? | Problems w/ sound? »