General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Default "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 04-23-2009, 01:14 AM

Howdy, DellMini Forum...I was able to complete my Mac software install on my son's Dell Mini 9, thanks to your help (the step by step here is way better than the Gizmodo one, and you were able to help with some glitches as well).

New problem!

My son is crazy for the Spore, and we're having problems with it on this configuration.

First thing, we did the install of the Mac version -- it's a purchased, not pirated copy. For a couple of days, it worked fine, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. The trouble started when the software put up a box asking for an update to be downloaded. My son did that, and it wouldn't start after that -- the initial load would happen, then nothing.

I uninstalled it, and tried reinstalling from scratch a couple of times. Now, it won't start at all without loading the updates. After the updates load, same result -- we get an opening screen, then nothing.

In looking for a solution online, I see the Mac version is having a lot of troubles with certain older versions -- and I think Dell Mini users who are using Windows have also run into trouble with it.

Any ideas? Is there a patch or something for this?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 04-23-2009, 02:16 AM

There is a patch for this in Windows that involved editing an .ini file. I have a dell xps m1730, and the laptop drivers are never current. The edit involved taking out the part of the .ini that asked you to download the most current drivers. I'm going to guess a similar edit could be made here. I don't know how mac games are configured, but I would imagine something similar.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 04-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboa99
There is a patch for this in Windows that involved editing an .ini file. I have a dell xps m1730, and the laptop drivers are never current. The edit involved taking out the part of the .ini that asked you to download the most current drivers. I'm going to guess a similar edit could be made here. I don't know how mac games are configured, but I would imagine something similar.
I'm almost sure Spore uses Wine to run in OS X, so yes, it would probably be finding the same .ini file and editing it. Unless it uses an OS X native launcher to check for updates, then it may be editing a plist or something.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 04-23-2009, 01:11 PM

I'm wondering if his problem was related to a driver update or a game update.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 04-23-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder2
I'm almost sure Spore uses Wine to run in OS X, so yes, it would probably be finding the same .ini file and editing it. Unless it uses an OS X native launcher to check for updates, then it may be editing a plist or something.
'wineserver' is supplied as part of the spore app, so the rest of 'wine' is probably, but not necessarily implied.

White Mini 9 | OSX 10.5.8 | A04 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB | 64GB RunCore Pro IV | 32GB C6 Transcend | 1.3Mpix | MDD extended battery | OEM BT | Fusion 2.0.4 | 1505 Draft-N

Problems with external displays or projectors in OS X? Try MirrorDisplays2! http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...html#post73180
Got Static? http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...io-static.html
  (#6) Old

Default Re: "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 04-23-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverboa99
I'm wondering if his problem was related to a driver update or a game update.
The problems started after running game updates. The game DOES run when the updates aren't done...so we tried reinstalling and then avoiding updates. That didn't work...the game insists on running updates now when we try to start it. I don't think we ran a general System Update that would have changed any drivers during this process.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 04-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Wait...Spore runs on the mini9? Really? I can't even get command and conquer to run and that game is six years old. How well does it run?

(Yes, sorry for the slight derail)
  (#8) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default Re: "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 04-23-2009, 10:14 PM

I had Spore running in XP a few months ago (made a topic in gaming about it, too). Installed to my 16GB SDHC card and on the lowest settings it was very playable. However on the Windows version I also had the problem of updating the game - I think this was just due to me having installed the game on an SD card though as it insisted it couldn't find one of my game files, but all the others were fine.

Was running with 2GB RAM, before GMABooster was even released.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#9) Old

Default Re: "Spore" on Dell Mini 9 with OSX? - 05-10-2009, 06:06 PM

so, any update on spore with osx? i got the 'origins' version for the iphone - this is the kind of game i like to play. i would like a game i can play on my mini too.

White Mini 9 | OSX 10.5.8 | A04 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB | 64GB RunCore Pro IV | 32GB C6 Transcend | 1.3Mpix | MDD extended battery | OEM BT | Fusion 2.0.4 | 1505 Draft-N

Problems with external displays or projectors in OS X? Try MirrorDisplays2! http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...html#post73180
  (#10) Old

Default 05-14-2009, 11:19 PM

well, i went and got a copy anyway. it played very slowly, lots of lag. the creature would not render in build editor. and after the update loaded the game would crash duriing startup. this game is not for mini osx.

« Please Help | Dual Boot Ubuntu and OSX »